This month Spoon GU is featuring interviews with some of DC’s top Instagram celebrities. We were able to catch up with Georgetown’s very own Justin Schuble of @dcfoodporn this week. Check him out — we dare you not to salivate.

Spoon: Can you give us a little background about yourself?

Currently, I am a Junior at Georgetown University in the McDonough School of Business. I am a double major, studying Finance and Marketing. I have lived in the DC area for my entire life. I am extremely family-oriented and I have two cats, Jade and Jetta, who occasionally pop up on my Instagram.

In case it wasn’t obvious enough, I am obsessed with food. I love to eat, cook and gather around food with family and friends. This might come as a surprise, but I am allergic to dairy and try to avoid gluten when possible, which can make being a foodie pretty difficult. However, I view it as a challenge and still find ways to eat delicious, foodporn-worthy food.

S: How did DC Food Porn start?

I love being creative and am always looking for a creative outlet. I used to paint and draw, but recently I have turned to photography as a way of expressing my artistic side. Pairing that love for art with food seemed like a fun idea. While I never expected @dcfoodporn (originally @freshman_foodie) to gain traction, it has been amazing to watch it grow and to share my love for food with 50 thousand plus people.

S: How did it gain traction?

Whenever I am asked how I was able to gain so many followers, I have difficulty coming up with the right answer. I became extremely passionate about my blog, I made sure to only post photos that were appetizing and I spent a lot of time liking and commenting on other people’s photos. Frankly, I followed my own instincts and ignored family and friends who told me posting food was stupid.

Eventually, some of the top accounts, like @infatuation and @betches, started reposting my pictures, which helped me gain followers. From there, it was really word of mouth that allowed @dcfoodporn to grow so rapidly. I love reading the comments on my photos and knowing that people are using the comment section to communicate with one another and make plans with friends and loved ones.

Donut go to bed on an empty stomach #dcfoodporn

A photo posted by DCfoodporn (@dcfoodporn) on

S: What is your camera of choice?

I take most of my photos with a digital camera (Sony a6000), but some of my photos are taken on my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 4).

S: Do you have any advice for other local ‘grammers looking to get Insta-famous? 

My advice would be to go for it. If you love food (or fashion or anything else) and want to share that love with the world, you should set up an account and see what happens. While it can be scary to start with zero followers and put yourself out there, if you can create an account that has personality and is unique in some way, people will eventually want to follow along.

If you want to pick up followers quickly, you should post often, post pictures that are high-quality and really showcase the food (or clothes or whatever you are blogging about), and be patient. It also helps to use hashtags (like #dcfoodporn or #spoonfeed) and tag some of the top accounts so that they can see your photos and share them with their audience.

Friday traditions with @swizzlerfoods #dcfoodporn // (new snapchat: dcfoodporn)

S: What is your favorite food?

Sushi!…or doughnuts, depending on my mood. I’m a huge fan of the new, innovative doughnut trend and think DC has a ton of great spots worth checking out. I also love Asian cuisine and bold flavors.

S: What is your favorite thing to cook?

Breakfast, especially waffles. Waffles are great because you can add virtually anything that you are craving and make them savory or sweet.

S: Favorite local DC restaurant?

I can’t choose just one, but I love the 14th Street corridor! Masa 14, Tico, Doi Moi and all of the other restaurants there are really innovative and packed with flavor. DC has some of the best restaurants in the world and next week I’m sure my answer would be very different.

Showin off my rolls ? #dcfoodporn

S: What are some of your favorite Instagram accounts? 

In general, I love accounts that post vibrant pictures with unique and witty captions. I don’t have favorites, but here are a few that I follow and think you should check out:

• @hungrybetches: This girl knows her way around a breakfast sandwich. Her photos are drool-worthy and her captions are on point.
  • @dennistheprescott: This dude is a beast in the kitchen. His food is innovative and his photography is spectacular.
  • @nycdining: It’s hard not to love Skyler’s hilarious posts. She manages to combine foodporn with a great sense of humor to create an account that is unique and addicting.
  • @mealsandreels: Greg and Rebecca make me wish I lived in New York. Their photos are incredible and their Snapchat story always keeps me entertained.

S: Anything else you want to throw in?

I just want to say how much I appreciate each and every follower. It means so much to me that people have gotten on board with what I am trying to do. For those of you who don’t follow me, check out my feed on Instagram (@dcfoodporn) and become part of the DC Food Porn community!