Frozen dinners are staples for anyone who is short on time and just needs quick and convenient meals. They unfortunately tend to get bad reps due to their small portions, sometimes bland flavors, and poor nutritional value.

As a frozen meal aficionado, I have searched high and low for the best of the best. While Trader Joe's was a close second when it came to frozen meal choices, Whole Foods was the clear winner with the most diverse selection and most promising health benefits.

1. Amy's Brown Rice, Black Eyed Peas, and Veggie Bowl

At just under 300 calories, this bowl is a great option for a low maintenance lunch or dinner. It is more generous than most frozen entrees with above average portion sizes. It hits all of the major food groups while being still vegetarian-friendly.

2. 365 Everyday Value Organic Spinach & Feta Individualized Size Pizza

mozzarella, tomato, cheese, pizza
Alexandria Boston

This personal pan pizza is great for those days when you feel like chowing down on an entire pizza. It is made with only organic ingredients and fresh vegetables. It's also high in protein and low in calories — and it will keep you full and satisfied.

3. EVOL. Sriracha Chicken Bowl

EVOL is a relatively new brand of frozen meals but is quickly making a name for itself. EVOL takes pride in the fact that all meals are only cooked with chicken that’s raised in the USA without the use of antibiotics and never fed animal by-products. With only 280 calories, this spicy and savory bowl full of chicken, veggies, and rice is always a good idea.

4. Amy's Indian Palak Paneer

Amy's seems to always outdo themselves with their frozen entrees and their Palak Paneer is no exception. The famous Indian dish is both delicious and filling. The spinach and paneer cheese duo is a winning combination and makes for a tasty dinner.

5. Safron Road Chicken Tika Masala

Last but certainly not least is the Safron Road's Chicken Tikka Masala. Boneless chicken smothered in yogurt and tomato sauce served on a bed of white rice is as authentic as it can get. From weekday to weekend, you can't go wrong with this one.

These are all convenient and affordable alternatives to eating out or cooking at home which can be messy or difficult when you have no time. Next time you're in the frozen food aisle at Whole Foods, give one of these frozen entrees a try.