Growing up I ate a diet rich in meat and potatoes, and I had no quarrels with that. In fact, I loved it. Now that I am living abroad I do every once in a while crave some of Ireland’s great cuisine.

Here is a list of 15 dishes you need to try, whether you hop on over to Ireland or make it yourself.

1. Full Irish Or Ulster Fry

Irish

Photo courtesy of lordsofthedrinks.com

Ulster fry is more commonly referenced in the North of Ireland (Ulster) and has everything from black pudding, bacon, sausage, soda bread, potato farl, beans, eggs and a nice cup of tea on the side.

2. Black and White Pudding

Irish

Photo courtesy of thedailymeal.com

This is something you will find with your traditional ulster fry. You don’t want to know what’s in it but trust me when I say it tastes good. That is all.

3. Curry Chip

Irish

Photo courtesy of flicker.com- Fado Irish Pub Annapolis

The Irish love international cuisines which have gotten more and more popular over the years in Ireland. A favorite is a curry chip which you can get in most restaurants and definitely at your local Chinese take out.

4. Colcannon

Irish

Photo courtesy of tarasmulticulturaltable.com

It’s creamy, it’s buttery, it’s so good. Colcannon is usually a mix of cabbage (sometimes spinach) with buttery mashed potatoes. It’s the slam dunk of spud dishes.

5. Trifle

Irish

Photo courtesy of shemazing.net

Good old cherry trifle. It’s filled with layers of creamy custard, fluffy cream and gooey raspberry sauce.  And to top it off, it’s even light enough to eat after a big, hearty Irish meal.

6. Steak & Guinness Pie

Irish

Photo courtesy of stevescooking.blogspot.com

The Irish love their drink and they also love their meat, so naturally they took this match made in heaven and made Steak and Guinness Pie.

7. Pastie

Irish

Photo courtesy of greggs.co.uk

This bad boy is really popular in Northern Ireland (where I’m from). You will usually find a pastie served with chips (fries) which we call “a pastie supper.”

8. Fish supper

Irish

Photo courtesy of roadfood.com

Deep fried battered fish and chips (again, fries). Add some salt and vinegar and you’re good to go with this one.

9. Sausage Rolls

Irish

Photo courtesy of foodtolove.com.au

These have the appearance of your typical pigs in a blanket but thankfully sausage rolls are actually made with real pork sausage and a flaky puffed crust that makes it even more special.

10. Barnbrack

Irish

Photo courtesy of jackies-kitchen.co.uk

I suggest you get some Irish butter (Kerrygold is available in most shops in the U.S.) and some Irish tea. Barnbrack is traditionally served toasted with a slab of butter for tea time.

11. Mince Pies (Sweet)

Irish

Photo courtesy of hopeeternalcookbook.wordpress.com

Despite the name and appearance, these pies are not made of mince meat. They are fruit based (raisins, currents, etc). They are most popular around Christmas time but nobody really wants to wait that long for one of these.

12. Cottage Pie

Irish

Photo courtesy of adamcarolla.com

This is just a simple minced beef and veggie dish topped with mashed potatoes. It’s comfort food that always hits the spot.

13. Tayto Crisp Sandwich

Irish

Photo courtesy of @IrishFoodGuide

Judge all you want but this sandwich is comfort food at its finest for the Irish. You can’t go wrong with some buttered white bread and some deliciously flavored cheese and onion crisps. It may not be high-class cuisine but this is a childhood snack that just keeps getting better.

14. Beans on Toast

Irish

Photo courtesy of cosmopoiltan.co.uk

When you have not done the grocery shopping-have no fear! Most Irish homes have a few cans of Heinz beans stocked up in the cupboard. It does the job for any meal throughout the day, and is especially tasty on top of a nicely toasted piece of white bread.

15. Irish Stew

Irish

Photo courtesy of tastefoodblog.com

There’s nothing like a good Irish Stew.  It has everything you could want in a dinner. Meat, potatoes and veggies. This is my go-to dish on a cold Irish winter night when I’m feeling extra homesick.

While I grew up eating these dishes in Ireland, some of the items on the list are popular across the British Isle. Which means even more people around the world enjoy these dishes just the same. So, go on and try a few!