Let’s face it, no matter what any of us says we all want to look our best and feel good. Am I right? One of the main areas people feel insecure about is their stomach, which is one of the most difficult places to lose weight, especially for women. But never fear, I won’t let the freshman (or senior) fifteen creep up on you that easily.

After scouring the interwebs for the best foods you can eat to fight the flab, I’ve rounded up my top five favorites. These are all foods that are tasty (hallelujah!) and are easy to integrate into your hectic schedule.

MUFAs

Monounsaturated fatty acids are healthy fats that you should try and substitute for saturated and trans fats. Some great MUFA-rich foods are avocados, olives and olive oil, nuts like almonds and peanuts and pumpkin or flaxseeds. If you’re turned off by any of these foods, try making yourself a morning smoothie with a few of these foods. Burying avocado or flaxseeds under a layer of fresh fruit will make you forget how healthy you’re being.

belly flat

Photo by Katie Coyle

Ginger

Ginger is another great way to slim down your stomach area. And before you get too excited, no you cannot sprinkle pre-grated ginger into a spice cookie and say you’re being healthy. I’m talking about straight up ginger root. Ginger has long been used as a natural remedy for stomach problems and has been shown to lessen the amount of gas in your intestines. Although it’s an awesome digestive aid, this stuff is POWERFUL and I definitely don’t recommend you eating it on a first date. Try eating candied ginger before you move to the real stuff.

belly flat

Photo by Aurelie Corinthios

Leafy greens

Full of fiber and other goodies, leafy greens will keep your body in tip-top shape. In case you didn’t get the memo, fiber-rich foods take longer to digest, which keeps you fuller for longer. The end result? You aren’t snacking on chips or pizza bites throughout the day, resulting in a flatter stomach

belly flat

Photo by Katie Coyle

Yogurt 

Yogurt is awesome. I’m just going to come out and say it, because I feel like it’s underappreciated at times. Let me see if I can relate this flat stomach food to you in a way you’ll remember. You know those Activia commercials that have women talking about how they like to “stay regular.” Yep, that’s yogurt for ya. Yogurt is filled with bacteria that helps maintain your digestion tract and keeps things, um, moving along.

belly flat

Photo by Katie Coyle

Quinoa

Quinoa has the same healthy principles as leafy greens, but instead of fiber quinoa is chock-full of protein. 1 cup of quinoa has almost 9 grams of protein, which is a lot for a grain. Protein keeps you fueled for longer, so you won’t be as tempted to snack on naughty foods.

belly flat

Photo by Katie Coyle

Check out these articles for more healthy eating ideas: