These little guys are magical in more ways than one. With so much variation, there’s basically a mushroom for your every need. Whether you’re trying out a new diet, trying to get high or just trying to add some depth of flavor to your dish, these fungi are here to help.

Here are some of the staples you should be using in the kitchen:

1. Button

shrooms

Photo by Stephanie DeVaux

This is probably what you think of first when someone says “mushroom.” Also known as white mushrooms, these guys are the most common type of shrooms out there. Their faint earthy taste just begs to be sweetened up with sautéed onions, making them perfect in a dish like this mushroom, onion and goat cheese crostini.

2. Cremini

shrooms

Photo by Stephanie DeVaux

Also known as baby portobellos, these mushrooms have a fairly mild flavor, making them ideal for a wide range of dishes. Chop them up and throw them in an omelet, simmer them in wine to make a creamy mushroom sauce or use them in this life changing stuffed mushroom recipe.

3. Porcini

shrooms

Photo by Michelle Loret de Mola

This beefy mushroom is a favorite in Italian dishes. It has a subtle nutty flavor to it and pairs especially well with  cream-based saucesNext time you’re at the grocery store, grab a handful and use them to make a flavorful white wine sauce for your pasta.

4. Shiitake

shrooms

Photo by Stephanie DeVaux

Not only is shiitake Austin Powers’ favorite mushroom, but they also absorb liquid really well, making them a perfect addition to soups or sauces. This star of Asian cuisine is dense, meaty and savory. Shiitake mushrooms also serve as a great substitute in meat dishes, like this Korean barbecue bulgogi marinade.

5. Enoki

shrooms

Photo by Andrew Seah

Big things come in small packages with enoki mushrooms. Also common in Asian dishes, they are packed with flavor and have a crisp, slightly crunchy texture. Use them as an easy way to spice up a boring bowl of ramen.

6. Oyster

shrooms

Photo by Stephanie DeVaux

Named after its seafood lookalike, oyster mushrooms have a slightly sweet taste. It’s another popular addition to many Italian dishes, like this college student rendition of cacio e pepe.

And there you have it, folks. Go ahead and brag; you’re now a mushroom expert.

Check out some of these other mushroom inspired articles: