Get savvy with these kitchen appliances to impress your friends, family, and significant others.

1. Microwave

Appliances

Photo by Rebecca Block

There are many task that microwave appliances can preform. The most common features are:

Auto Defrost – for quick defrosting or basic warming.

Auto Cook – for heating leftovers and cooking. You can even cook a fried egg.

Kitchen Timer – a very helpful feature if you don’t have a basic timer or need another timer while cooking multiple things.

Set Cooking Time – allows you to set the exact microwaving time and is a helpful feature if you have to walk away from the microwave for a while.

Popcorn – this feature is hit or miss, it depends how big your bag of popcorn is.

Some microwaves even have beverage and pizza features. Now, try making this yummy dessert in a microwave.

2. Oven

Appliances

Photo by Annie Pinto

Ovens are appliances that have two distinct features:

Bake – for heating food by surrounding it with hot air or convection heat. Use for: cake, vegetables, and French fries.

Broil – for heating food using infrared radiation, the top and/or bottom elements of an oven that glow red. The broiler is great for getting grill-like (charred) results. Use for: meats like steak and chicken, but also good for vegetables

Most ovens have kitchen timers as well – how convenient.

3. Slow Cooker

Appliances

Photo by Erica Coulter

A Crock-Pot, an appliance, also known as a slow cooker, is an amazing appliance to have in college and even better for post-college life.

Each slow cooker has three parts:

Base – with temperature setting and the heating element

Stoneware – heavy bowl that fits in the base, it is removal and portable

Lid – keeps liquid inside the crock pot for cooking and keep warm purposes

Slow cookers can be great time savers. They allow for cooking at high and low temperatures for an extended amount of time. You can set the cook time and walk away from a slow cooker while you are in class or at work.

4. French Press

Appliances

Photo by Ryan Terhune

A French press is very simple appliance and much more ecofriendly that using a Keurig. These instructions make approximately 4 cups of coffee:

1. Place 8 tablespoons of coffee grounds into the bottom of your press.
  2. Pour hot water into the glass pot, leaving about an inch of room at the top. Stir the water and coffee.
  3. Put the plunger on top of the glass pot, and be sure to turn the lid so it blocks the pour spout. Don’t lower the plunger. Just let the coffee brew for about 4 minutes.
  4. Lower the plunger, slowly, all the way down to the bottom of the pot. Once you get the plunger all the way down, turn the lid to open the spout, and pour.

5. Blender

Appliances

Photo by Katherine Baker

Blenders are more complicated appliances than magic bullets, but their basic parts are:

Base – controls speed and frequency of pulses

Pulse – you can manually push the pulse button (chopping) or chose to pulse continuously (blending)

Container – jar-shaped pitcher where food is blended

Blade – placed inside the jar (does the blending)

Lid – catches substances from flying out of the blender

These are both good for liquidizing substances; making smoothies, purees, and even sauces or soups. And much more.