English muffins are a godsend for college students; they’re tasty, inexpensive, and make for a quick breakfast on-the-go before class. However, English muffins are an under-appreciated and underutilized carb past breakfast time. So take advantage of those frequent buy-one-get-one sales on Thomas’ Products (hbd, btw) and incorporate their hole-y goodness into every meal of the day.

1. English Muffin French Toast

english muffin

Photo by Jade Hsiao

French toast is a breakfast favorite that never goes out of style. But that doesn’t mean you can’t be adventurous and spice it up a little. You’ll adore the spongey texture of English muffins because it soaks up the egg mixture deliciously. Tip: Instead of original English muffins, add a fun twist by using honey wheat or cinnamon raisin muffins.

Easy

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes

Servings: 1-2

1 egg
½ cup milk
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
2 English muffins
2 tablespoons maple syrup
Fresh berries, bananas, or choice of fruit

Directions:
1. Heat skillet on medium heat and lightly coat with butter.
2. Whisk egg, milk, sugar, spices, and vanilla in a bowl.
3. Cut each English muffin in half. Soak them in the egg-mixture, 30 seconds on each side.
4. Let the battered muffins sizzle on the skillet until golden brown.
5. Smother with maple syrup and fruit.

2. S’more Muffin

english muffin

Photo by Jade Hsiao

S’mores are delicious, but only because toasty marshmallows are superstars and make everything taste good. Make sure to sprinkle some toasted nuts for that extra hearty crunch. Oh, and if you like bad puns, here’s one for you: Can I have s’more muffins please?

Easy

Prep Time: 3 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: About 8 minutes

Servings: 1

½ cup miniature marshmallows
½ chocolate chips
1 tablespoon toasted nuts (I recommend sliced almonds)
1 English muffin

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Cut each English muffin in half and spread mini marshmallows and chocolate chips evenly.
3. Place them in the oven for 2 minutes.
4. Once the marshmallows start melting, sprinkle some nuts on top.
4. Wait for the marshmallows to brown and puff up gloriously. Serve while hot and gooey.

3. Eggs Benedict with Avocado and Bacon

english muffin

Photo by Jade Hsiao

As one of the five “mother sauces” of French cuisine, Hollandaise sauce is a little out of most college students’ kitchen repertoire. But that’s okay, because I’m a firm believer that avocado makes everything tastes better. If you prefer your guac fancier, add some extra spices, cilantro, and diced tomatoes.

Medium

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes

Servings: 1

1 egg
Dash of vinegar
1 avocado
2 tablespoons lime juice
Salt and pepper
Dash of hot pepper flakes
2 slices of bacon (or smoked salmon if you want it fancier)
1 English muffin

Directions:

1. Bring pot of water to a boil and add dash of vinegar.
2. Whirl the water so that when you gently drop the egg in (egg whites first), it’ll coat around the yolk nicely. Cook for about 2 minutes.
3. Gently take out the poached egg and set aside on paper towels.
4. Heat up a skillet to medium heat, and fry two pieces of bacon until it is crispy perfection. Set aside on paper towels.
4. Mash up the avocado, and sprinkle on lime juice. Add salt, pepper, and whatever spices you like. It’s your guac, be creative with it.
5. Cut open the English muffin, and spread the guacamole evenly on one side of the muffin.
6. Top with bacon and poached egg. Garnish with hot pepper flakes.
7. Slice the egg open, and Instagram that you’ve created your own swanky brunch item.

4. Nutella and Banana Panini

english muffin

Photo by Jade Hsiao

If you begin your day with one of these Nutella banana wonders, you’ll wish everyday was World Nutella Day. For a nuttier taste, try adding peanut butter to the recipe. I’ve even tried it with cheese before. For this panini, a thick layer of Nutella is a must, but everything else is fair game.

Easy

Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 3 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes

Servings: 1

1 ripe banana
3 tablespoons Nutella
2 tabelspoons butter
1 English muffin

Directions:
1. Heat skillet on medium heat.
2. Cut the English muffin in half, and lightly butter each side.
3. Spread each slice with a generous amount of Nutella.
4. Cut up the banana, and arrange them however you like.
5. Place the sandwich on the skillet and press down until you see the Nutella start melting.

5. English Muffin Mini Pizzas

english muffin

Photo by Jade Hsiao

I’d like to think of this as a posh version of the wildly popular Bagel Bites. English Muffin Bites maybe? Not only is homemade pizza a healthier alternative, it is also super easy to make. And if you don’t have pizza sauce at home, try it with salsa or any tomato sauce instead.

Easy

Prep Time: 3 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 11 minutes

Servings: 1-2

4 tablespoons pizza sauce
½ cup cheese (I personally love Mozzarella with it)
2 English muffins

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Cut English muffins in half, and smother each side with a tablespoon of pizza sauce.
3. Sprinkle cheese on each side, being extra generous with the bottom muffin.
4. Pop it in the oven for 8 minutes, or until the cheese starts turning brown and crispy. And no, you don’t have to share.

6. DIY Bacon & Egg McMuffin

English Muffins 5 - Jade Hsiao (1)

Photo by Jade Hsiao

The Mickey D’s Egg McMuffin has a cult following, so why not recreate it.

Easy

Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes
Total Time: About 8 minutes

Servings: 1

2 tablespoons butter
1 egg
1 tablespoon water
½ cup cheese
2 slices of bacon (or a sausage patty depending on what type of McMuffin fan you are)
1 English muffin

Directions:

2. Cut the English muffin in half. Coat the outer sides with butter (be super generous).
3. Place both muffins on the skillet, buttered side down.
4. Beat the egg in a small bowl. Add some water to the beaten egg to make it fluffier (I promise, it makes all the difference)
5. Pour the mixture into the skillet and gently stir. Once the egg turns golden yellow, place it onto a muffin half.
6. Fry the slices of bacon. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the bacon slices. Then put the cheesy bacon strips onto the egg.
7. Put the other muffin half on the sandwich; the top should be golden and crispy. Gently press down and voilà, your very own bacon & egg McMuffin. You’re lovin’ it.

7. Veggie Hummus Panini

english muffin

Photo by Jade Hsiao

My vegetarian friends tell me they can’t live without hummus (check out these cool ways to up your homemade hummus game). But what’s a vegetarian diet without some extra protein right? Instead of your typical grilled cheese, add a layer of hummus to make it extra tasty.

Easy

Prep Time: 3 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 8 minutes

Servings: 1

2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons hummus
½ cup cheese
½ cup diced peppers (or whatever vegetables you’d like)
1 English muffin

Directions:

2. Cut the English muffin in half and coat the outer sides with butter.
3. Smother hummus on the inside, and sprinkle on the cheese and peppers. (You can also fry the peppers on the skillet before hand if you like them crispier.)
4. Place the muffin on the skillet and gently press down. After 2 minutes, flip it over and wait until the cheese starts oozing out a little.
5. Sprinkle more peppers on the muffins. Serve while hot.

Check out these articles if you want to step up your brunch game further: