No one likes to eat foods that smell like feet, and especially foods that cause bad breath. But research has shown that people took smaller bites when their food had stronger aromas. These foods have a bunch of health benefits that you never saw coming. But proceed with caution and try not to eat these in class or your workplace – no one’s a fan of stinky lunches.

Garlic

Smelly Foods

Photo by Anna Loh

– Fun fact: garlic was used to fight gangrene during World War I and II because of its immune-system boosting properties.

– Its sulphuric compounds (the reason why it smells) react with red blood cells to produce hydrogen sulfide gas – this helps expand our blood vessels, keeping our blood pressure in check.

– The best way to enjoy garlic’s health benefits is to eat it raw.

– If you’re worried about bad breath, add parsley or basil in the same dish as garlic. Polyphenols in both herbs break down the sulfur compounds in garlic, getting rid of the pungent smell.

Onion

Smelly Foods

Photo by Anna Loh

– Onions are the only foods that have the highest source of quercitin – this lowers cholestrol, fight asthma and infections.

– Vitamin C is also contained in onions, excellent for detoxification.

– A medium-sized onion is all you need to eat a day to reap all these benefits: try this onion hummus recipe.

Tuna

Smelly Foods

Photo by Anna Loh

– Despite the accumulation of mercury in the flesh of tuna, most people aren’t affected by the low levels, with the exception of children and pregnant women.

– The American Heart Association recommends we eat fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids such as tuna and salmon twice a week.

– A serving of tuna has high amounts of protein but minimal fat, which helps in weight control. But steer clear from canned tuna packed in oil.

Cabbage

Smelly Foods

Photo by Anna Loh

– Another healthy weight-loss food is to cabbage because it is low in calories and high in fiber.

– It is also brain food: Vitamin K boosts mental function and concentration.

Balsamic Vinegar:

Smelly Foods

Photo by Anna Loh

– A great low-calorie alternative for ranch or mayonnaise as salad dressing.

– It has enzymes that promote digestion and absorption of minerals.

– It can also enhance your insulin sensitivity – the higher it is, the better your chances of controlling diabetes.