When people hear the word dumpling, an image of a traditional, savory Chinese dumpling usually comes to mind. However, most people don’t know that there are dozens of different types of dumplings that are eaten in many different countries. Dumplings can be sweet or savory, and filled with meat, fish, vegetables or sweets. Luckily, we’ve got you covered with this dumping dictionary.

Jiaozi (Chinese Dumpling)

dumpling

Photo courtesy of petunialee.blogspot.com

Jiaozi (also known as a pot sticker) is a type of dumpling that originates from China and is eaten throughout Eastern Asia. Jiaozi come in many varieties but all generally contain some type of meat and vegetable mixture filling. The skin of jiaozi is a lot thicker than those of wontons, and is usually eaten with a soy-vinegar dipping sauce instead of in a soup.

Japanese Dango

dumpling

Photo courtesy of taste-of-japan.blogspot.com

Dango is a sweet Japanese dumpling made from rice flour and is similar to mochi, or Japanese rice cake. It’s skewered in groups of three or four and is served in a variety of sweet sauces. Green tea is usually served as a compliment.

Kreplach

dumpling

Photo courtesy of omnivorevegetarian.blogspot.com

Kreplach are small dumplings filled with ground meat and mashed potatoes and served in chicken broth. The dough is typically very thin, and is often bought premade in the form of frozen wonton wrappers. Kreplach with sweet cheese filing is sometimes served as a starter dish.

Pierogi

dumpling

Photo courtesy of newfinmysoup.blogspot.com

The Polish pierogi are first boiled, then baked or fried in butter. They can be stuffed with potato, sauerkraut, cheese, meat or fruit, and are enjoyed across Eastern Europe. Pierogi are usually semicircular in shape, but can also be rectangular or triangular.

Mandu

dumpling

Photo courtesy of waterchestnutsaregross.com

Mandu are dumplings native to Korean cuisine. They are usually filled with a mixture of minced meat, tofu, green onion, garlic and ginger and are served with kimchi and vinegar dipping sauce.