If you follow as many foodie Instagram accounts and Facebook pages as I do, you may have seen a certain peanut butter and jelly doughnut blowing up your feed like I did last week. Doughnut Plant is an NYC doughnut shop whose peanut butter and jelly doughnut has been all over social media lately, tempting every PB&J lover through the screen. Naturally, I set out to see what the fuss was about.

Doughnut Plant has a few locations across the city, so I headed to their Chelsea store, which is just a few blocks away from the famed High Line. After arriving to a surprisingly short line, my number was called and I dashed to pick up my order.

Upon opening the bag, my first impression was "oh, boy, this is going to be a delicious mess." Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful doughnut, but the outside is quite literally coated in peanut butter-which is wonderful, except that you get all sticky.

Kate Mauro

My worries about the peanut butter-induced messiness were fairly accurate, but it was nothing a napkin couldn't fix. When I reached in to take it out, it became clear that this was no chain store doughnut. It was actually quite large and had a decent amount of heft to it. After getting over the outside, I dug right in to the blackberry jelly-filled center.

peanut, peanut butter, butter
Kate Mauro

The middle of this doughnut is oozing jelly in the best possible way. I'm not usually a lover of filled doughnuts, but if they all tasted like this I'd jump on that bandwagon so fast. The dough wasn't overly sweet, so the jelly isn't overpowering, and the crunchiness of the peanut butter on the outside gives it a nice texture without taking away from the fluffiness of the dough.

All in all, this doughnut was next level stuff. Def worth the mess. It cost $4, which may seem a bit overpriced, but taking into account  the size and quality, I'd gladly shell out for it again and again.

Shout out to the amazing bakers at Doughnut Plant. With pastries like this, I'll definitely be back.