Cheez-It crackers are a staple in most college dorms. With flavors ranging from classic cheddar, to provolone, to colby, and cheddar jack, there’s a Cheez-It for everyone. Although I enjoy a good handful or two of these cheesy crackers as much as the next girl, I can’t help but think of all the extra preservatives and unnecessary ingredients that go into each box. That’s why I made this version. With only 4 ingredients, they are better for you without skimping on flavor.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Servings: 2 cups
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
3/4 cup all purpose flour
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
1/8 teaspoon salt plus more for sprinkling
1. Grate the cheddar cheese.
2. In a food processor, pulse grated cheese, flour, butter, and 1/8 teaspoon salt until dough comes together.
3. Form dough into 2 balls, wrap in plastic, and put in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
4. After dough is chilled for 30 minutes, take dough out and preheat oven to 400°F. Roll dough in a rectangle to the best of your ability.
5. Cut into small squares.
6. With a toothpick, poke a hole into the middle of each square, then sprinkle with leftover salt.
7. Place cheese squares on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Enjoy!