Nutritionists suggest hummus as a healthy snack because of its high protein content. But what about the high calorie content? Most hummus ranges from 75-90 calories for one serving. But if I’m hungry after class, I know I probably won’t stop after the recommended two tablespoons.

So if you look down and your medium sized container of sun-dried tomato hummus has miraculously disappeared, you just ate 400 calories. No joke. And that’s not even including the Parmesan pita chips you were using to devour the deliciousness. If you want to maintain a healthy weight (and fend off the evil Freshmen Fifteen), it’s a better idea to keep snacks around 200 calories. Get more dip for your chip with these hummus alternatives.

Guacamole Hummus

Photo by Paulina Lam

If you like avocado, try guacamole hummus. It’s made with equal parts avocado and chickpeas, with the addition of flavorful spices and seasonings. The dip has a hummus texture while maintaining the great taste of fresh avocado. It’s a perfect match for blue corn tortilla chips, and with only 50 calories per two tablespoons, you don’t have to feel guilty about eating the entire box.

Eggplant Hummus

Photo by Paulina Lam

If you like traditional garlic hummus, try eggplant hummus instead. With the same texture but a bolder flavor, this hummus is all heart healthy fats with 2 grams of protein. It packs a nutritious punch with calcium, iron, and vitamins A and C. And the best part? It’s only 35 calories! Talk about a skinny dip. Its a great match with carrots and red bell peppers.

Curry Dip

Photo by Paulina Lam

If you are a fan of roasted red pepper hummus, give lentil curry dip a chance. This odd sounding dip is heart healthy, has two grams of protein and packs a huge flavor! About two tablespoons, or 28 grams, has 40 calories, zero grams of trans fat and plenty of fiber to keep digestion in check. I prefer this dip with something plain like traditional whole grain pita chips since it is so flavorful.

Try switching these yummy alternatives for your high cal hummus so you can go hard in the dip.
Also, Try making your own with these recipes:
Lentil Hummus
Sweet Potato Chipotle Hummus