It’s that time of year again where I receive an email from my mom cordially inviting me to celebrate Thanksgiving in my own house. It’s a day that I’ve been anticipating all year, a day in which I push myself to places I didn’t know my body was capable of going.

Thanksgiving is a day where normal foods go from zero to hero and get their well deserved 24 hours of fame.  This year we asked about 100 college students what their favorite Thanksgiving food was and here was the ranking from least favorite to favorite.

5. Yams or Sweet Potatoes

I know some people who can’t get enough of Thanksgiving yams topped with marshmallows, but honestly I don’t really understand the hype. While I love sweet potatoes, this dish is the last thing I would put on my  Thanksgiving plate. Overall I don’t think it’s disgusting, but come on-if this is what you’re prioritizing on the holiest of all food days then you need to take a hard look at your life.

Thanksgiving

Photo by Amanda Gajdosik

4. Cranberry Sauce

Although not many people voted cranberry sauce as their choice Thanksgiving food I have to disagree with its placement on the list.  In my opinion, it goes with everything from turkey (obviously) to stuffing.

Photo by Naib Mian

Photo by Naib Mian

3. Turkey

There isn’t a whole lot to say about this one. The first thing I think of when I hear Thanksgiving is turkey, and it’s good, but not worthy of top spot.

Thanksgiving

Photo by Daniel Schuleman

2. Mashed Potatoes

Mash potatoes are a fan favorite simply because they are a classic.  These spuds go with practically anything and they hold as leftovers for a good amount of time.

Thanksgiving

Photo by Alison Weissbrot

1. Pumpkin Pie

Pumpkin pie rules supreme. If you don’t like pumpkin pie I don’t know if I can trust you. This dessert has earned it’s place on the Thanksgiving pantheon, and I would even choose a piece of this pie over a chocolate dessert (but only on Thanksgiving, let’s not get any crazy ideas).

Thanksgiving

Photo by Sharpay Zhang

Honorable Mention:  Stuffing

Stuffing wasn’t an option on this poll, however it is typically a Thanksgiving favorite so it deserves a spot in this ranking.

Thanksgiving

Photo by Rachael Ferreira