Almond Roca cookies look very similar to peppermint bark, but they are not the same. What’s different? There is a layer of shortbread under the chocolate, so there isn’t really anything to complain about… These sound fancy, but they are actually quite simple: one layer of shortbread, one layer of chocolate and one layer of almonds. Don’t like almonds? Crush up some candy canes or sprinkle on Reese’s pieces. You can cut them into little squares or big squares or rectangles (yay for creativity!).
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 30-35 minutes
1 cup butter
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
1 beaten egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups cake flour (or regular flour)
8 ounces of semisweet or German chocolate (chocolate chips are fine too!)
1 cup chopped almonds
- Cream the butter, brown sugar and white sugar until light.
- Add in the egg yolk, vanilla and flour.
- Mix thoroughly and spread thinly onto a cookie sheet. Make sure that the dough reaches each corner of the pan and try to make the layer thickness fairly consistent.
- Bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes.
- When the cookies are done, let them cool for a few minutes.
- Melt the chocolate and spread it over the warm baked cookies.
- Sprinkle the chopped almonds on top.
- Slice into small bars and allow them to cool completely.