Have you ever heard that eating too many carrots makes your skin turn orange? Well, that’s not the only healthy food that can have dangerous effects if eaten in excess. Make sure you don’t OD on the following foods, either.

Spinach

healthiest

Photo by Neelima Agrawal

Spinach is full of iron, fiber and anti-inflammatory phytochemicals. However, it is also full of oxalic acid, which can prevent you from absorbing other nutrients like calcium and can lead to the formation of kidney stones.

Soy

healthiest

Photo by Katie Walsh

Soy has been found to improve cognitive function in women under 65 years old and lower the risk of breast and endometrial cancer.  However, soy contains large amounts of biologically active compounds called isoflavones, which can activate estrogen receptors. Too many isoflavones can affect the normal functioning of hormones in your body. Just stick to two servings per day or fewer.

Canned Tuna

Tuna can contain high levels of mercury. Eating too much mercury can lead to vision, hearing and speech problems. Try eating canned salmon instead.

Tomatoes

healthiest

Photo by Julia Murphy

Tomatoes have endless benefits. They are full of antioxidants and may help reduce the risk of prostate or pancreatic cancer. If you eat more than two servings a day, you increase your chance of developing lesions in the esophageal lining.

Bananas

healthiest

Photo by Julie Haupin

Bananas are rich in fiber and potassium, which helps our heart and other muscles run smoothly. Too many bananas, though, can result in headaches or even dangerous, and sometimes fatal, changes in heart rhythm.