Finals are just a couple of weeks away and your life has started to get more hectic than ever before. With loads of finals and papers due, you can feel the stress overwhelming you and the adrenaline rush catching up rapidly. What do most college students usually do when they feel stressed out?

Snack. It’s one of the quickest and simplest ways to de-stress, but over-snacking can impact your health negatively. No matter what your favorite snacks are, here are a few secrets to control just how much you snack.

1. Divide well

snacking

Photo by Cathy Ma

You can control how much you snack by taking smaller portions one at a time, aim for smaller dishes. Instead of taking the whole container of your favorite Ben & Jerry’s ice cream, take a few scoops in a small bowl.

2. Right meals, right time

GIF courtesy of popsugar.com

Before you begin your study sessions, eat proper and balanced meals at the right time of day. As the saying goes, eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper. You won’t feel hungry all the time and may even feel too full to snack. Snacking on an empty stomach can be unhealthy too.

3. The further, the better

GIF courtesy of ifunny.co

In your own apartment, avoid studying in the kitchen. In the dining hall, get a seat far away from the desserts station. If your dining hall has two levels, get a seat on a different story—you’ll feel more reluctant to go up or down stairs just to get more chocolate chip cookie.

4. Stay hydrated

snacking

Photo by Cathy Ma

One secret to stay full and avoid snack-binging is to drink a lot of water. Over-snacking can make you feel sleepy after awhile but water will keep you refreshed and focused. If you think plain water is boring, eat a lot of hydrating fruits such as apples instead.

5. Reward yourself with SNACKS

GIF courtesy of shemazing.net

Eliminate mindless eating; instead of eating your favorite chocolates or potato chips while studying, eat them only after you’ve finished studying. Motivate yourself to be efficient and stay focused by rewarding yourself with your favorite snacks when it’s all done. After all, pampering yourself after a long day helps you to stay calm and be happy.

All the best for your finals and take good care of your health!

Check out other finals guides: