For every classy, cosmopolitan college student, tea is a must. Not just any tea, though. Quali-tea (couldn’t help myself).

Nowadays, college students in large metropolitan areas can often be found at bubble tea hubs, playing board games and pool with their friends. Bubble tea, created in Taiwan, has become more popular over the years and now has tons of varieties from the popular summertime slush to the popping boba toppings. If you haven’t heard of bubble tea before, read about it here.

tea

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

What happens when we want to try something new other than the original milk tea with boba? Do we opt for the traditional boba (tapioca balls) or do we try a new topping? What if the flavors clash? Based on my experience, I’ve realized five helpful hints in trying a new bubble tea combo for all bubble tea veterans and newbies alike.

1. NEVER Mix Milk Tea and Fruit Add-ins

tea

Photo by Shen Swartout

Never, I repeat NEVER, add any type of fruit jelly or popping boba to a milk tea. The flavors will clash, for sure. The sweet creaminess of the milk tea never will, no matter how much you want it to, go with the sourness of the fruit jelly or the popping boba. No fruity things allowed. Thanks. Sorry… But not really.

2. Milk Tea and Pudding Are a Match Made in Heaven

tea

Photo Courtesy of Photobucket.com

Any type of milk tea with any type of pudding is bliss. Jasmine and mango pudding? Bliss. Taro and egg pudding? Bliss. Thai tea and milk pudding? Bliss. Get the picture?

3. Ice Cream Is Always Good (Duh)

tea

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

Ice cream is obviously good with anything, but in particular, try it with milk teas.

4. Pair Fruit With Fruit, Not Pudding

tea

Photo Courtesy of sunnysyrup.en.alibaba.com

If you’re getting a fruit slush, pretty much every add-in will complement the fruitiness remarkably well, except for pudding. I personally like lychee jelly, but if you’re feeling adventurous, try out the rainbow jelly. Pudding is a no-go because the textures will not work, and the sourness of the slush will not go with the sweetness of the pudding.

5. Get Some Popping Boba In Your Life

tea

Photo Courtesy of Photobucket.com

Popping boba is a godsend. If you haven’t heard of popping boba yet, and you feel like your life has been missing a certain je ne sais quoi, it’s probably because you haven’t had it yet. Popping boba is a miraculous ball of fruit juice often added to bubble tea and frozen yogurt that pops in your mouth with a flavor explosion. Try it. Just try it. But be cautious.

Want to know more about bubble tea?