Hamburgers have been around for a long time. While many of us pretend to be above the old-school fast food chains, McDonald's Big Mac and Burger King's Whopper continue to be the most iconic duo in the burger world.

McDonald's Big Mac was created in 1967 by Jim Delligatti. The burger went national in 1968, and soon became the signature item on the menu. Burger King's Whopper was created in 1957 by co-founder James McLamore. He decided to call it the "whopper" to convey the imagery of "something big." The two chains have been constant rivals, but in the battle of Big Mac vs Whopper, which burger is better?

Appearance

Big Mac: this burger stands up really tall and really proud. The buns are toasted to perfection, the patties are glistening, and the toppings look DAMN good. 

Whopper: This burger doesn't stand up as tall and as proud as the Big Mac, but it still looks delicious.

RESULTS: Big Mac: 1, Whopper: 0

bun, bread, sandwich, cheese, lettuce, cheddar, ketchup, mayonnaise, tomato, hamburger, hamburger bun
Alex Frank

Big Mac: "Two beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, processed cheddar cheese, pickles and onions on a toasted sesame seed bun"

Whopper: "One flame grilled 4 oz (110 g) beef patty, tomatoes, lettuce, creamy mayonnaise, pickles and onions on a toasted sesame seed buns"

RESULTS: Big Mac: 2, Whopper: 0

Nutrition

Big Mac: 550 calories, 45 grams of carbs, 29 grams of fat, 950 milligrams of sodium, 24 grams of protein 

Whopper: 630 calories, 51 grams of carbohydrates, 35 grams of fat, 850 milligrams of sodium, 25 grams of protein

RESULTS: Big Mac: 3, Whopper: 0

Taste

Big Mac: a little overpowered by the pickles and special sauce. Still a #classic though.

Whopper: a little less overpowered by the pickles and mayonnaise. Tastes a bit more like a burger. 

RESULTS: Big Mac: 3, Whopper: 1

Cost

McDonalds: $3.99

Whopper: $4.19

Unlike Kim, most people don't have money to fan.

RESULTS: Big Mac: 4, Whopper: 1

The Final Verdict

While Burger King's Whopper was a little tastier, McDonald's Big Mac took full sweep in being the better burger. It's more aesthetically appealing, has more toppings, is healthier (relatively speaking), and is cheaper in price. Congrats, McDonald's! You have definitely won the battle of Big Mac vs Whopper.