One of the only disappointing things about my abroad travels last year is the fact that I never made it to Ireland… but now I know I never really needed to leave the United States, or even Baltimore County, for that matter. Ireland is known for many great things, but perhaps the greatest is its beer — Guinness beer, to be exact. So, Baltimore residents and United States residents in general, it’s time to rejoice: Guinness is coming to America for the first time in nearly 60 years. 

Guinness will be coming to Baltimore County in the form of a 50 million dollar investment into a previously closed brewing facility. Construction is expected to start in the spring, with the brewery officially opening this fall, which just so happens to coincide with the 200th anniversary of Guinness beer being imported to the U.S.

The brewery will be "mid-sized" and will function as more of a tourist location than an actual brewery, with the addition of a restaurant and gift shop. Guinness is owned by the company Diageo, which also owns brands like Smirnoff and Johnnie Walker. The move by the company into Baltimore will create as many as 70 jobs and will contribute an estimated millions in beer tourism.

Unfortunately, if you're looking for the same exact thing they make in Dublin, you might be out of luck. Apparently the brewery is meant to be a "testing center" for new beers to be introduced into the U.S. market, while the classic Irish dry stout will still be manufactured in Dublin (although it'll still be imported to the U.S.).

So, you might have to wait a few months, but soon enough U.S. residents will have the opportunity to enjoy Guinness beer specially crafted for Americans. And if that doesn't have you feeling patriotic, even the governor of Maryland approves of the upcoming addition.