I’ve never been one of those people who eats only three solid meals a day. Sure, I eat them, but I also need a few pick-me-ups throughout the day that will give me an energy boost and soothe my mid-day snack attacks. But let’s face it, packing school snacks isn’t always fun. If you’re bored with the usual snack fixings on campus, try out some of these options instead.

Hard-Boiled Eggs
Eggs are full of protein, which keeps you fuller longer and gives you lasting energy without making you feel overly full. Boil your eggs the night before or boil them in batches over the weekend so you can grab an egg when you head out the door for class.

school snacks

Photo by Katie Coyle

Apples
The natural sugars in an apple will wake you up without having you crash later in the day like a cup of coffee will. Apples are great because they won’t get squished easily in your bag like a lot of other fruits, and they have a longer shelf life.

school snacks

Photo by Katie Coyle

Carrots and peanut butter
Carrots are filled with beta-carotene and antioxidants to boost your immune system, while peanut butter has protein and fiber that will keep your hunger at bay. Peanut butter is great to eat with a lot of fruit and veggies because the sugar makes you feel like you’ve just had a treat, which will keep you from craving other sugary things throughout the day.

school snacks

Photo by Katie Coyle

Edamame
These little soybeans have a lot of fiber (9 grams per ½ cup!) and healthy carbohydrates that will keep you fueled throughout the day. If you’re constantly on the go, the natural carbohydrates in edamame and other vegetables are an awesome way of keeping your body awake without the additional refined sugars found in many granola bars and breads. For easy snacking, I suggest buying a low-sodium package of dried edamame.

school snacks

Photo by Elyse Belarge

Trail mix
Whoever invented trail mix gets an A+ in my book. Trail mix is the perfect combination of salty and sweet, and I am a self-proclaimed trail mix addict. To optimize your healthy eating, make your own so you can avoid the added salt and sugar found in most store-bought trail mixes. My suggestion: almonds, peanuts, raisins, dried pineapple and dried coconut. The fruits will give it natural sweetness and the coconut will add a tasty texture you’ll love.

school snacks

Photo by Lucy Rubin

Popcorn
Air popped popcorn is the best, but microwaveable is fine too as long as you stay away from the kettle corns or the overly salted popcorns. Popcorn is a great substitute for chips and pretzels if you’re looking to cut out excess salt and fats from your diet. Just don’t try eating this in a quiet lecture hall or the silent floor of the library.

school snacks

Photo by Katie Coyle

Other yummy snacks to try: