In Ann Arbor, there are many luxury high-rise apartments, and they all have their moderately outrageous amenities. These range from the Landmark yoga studio, to the Arbor BLU tanning bed, to the Foundry pool and hot tub.  Although these flashy facilities may seem nice, how often are you really going to be using a rooftop terrace in a place, like Michigan, where winter lasts for 90% of the school year?

One important thing that sets these buildings apart is the food. Located all on different corners of campus, each apartment building has its own unique food scene. I know most of you signed your leases last October for the 2016-2017 school year, like the crazy Michigan students you are. But if you didn’t, or if you are already thinking about the 2017-2018 school year (relax), we’re here to tell you about all of the food places that are close to each building.  Note: each building’s ranking is limited to the food places literally within steps of the building. When it’s -20ºF outside, or when you’ve spent the entire day tailgating, the furthest you’re willing to move is a couple of steps.

1. Corner House Apartments

apartments

Photo courtesy of @spoon_michigan on Instagram

Corner House may not have all of the amenities that other Ann Arbor high rises have,  but what it does have is a Buffalo Wild Wings literally underneath the building for all of your post-tailgate needs. Not a wing fan? No worries, Sava’s, Totoro, aMa Bistro and Starbucks are all within steps of the building. Please let me know what could be better than sushi, coffee and two restaurants that serve breakfast, lunch and dinner.

2. Zaragon West

apartments

Photo by Alex Weiner

Zaragon West is Zaragon Place’s sister building. Although home to a bit of an older and less rowdy crowd, Zaragon West is a pizza lover’s dream building.  Located directly below is Neopapalis, which will deliver to your door if you’re feeling especially lazy. There is also Cottage Inn and NYPD within steps – if you’re looking for deep-dish pizza or pizza by the slice.  After you stuff your face with pizza, there is Iorio’s Gelateria for dessert, where you can find a plethora of delicious gelato flavors. Zaragon West is also right around the corner from Skeeps…

3. Sterling Arbor BLU

apartments

Photo by Annie Madole

I, as well as every other lazy food-lover, know of Arbor BLU as the place where Pizza House will deliver to your door. Yes, Pizza House is directly below the building, so (theoretically) you could just take the elevator downstairs to get it. But, sometimes the door of your apartment is the furthest you are able willing to go for food. For the days when you don’t feel like stuffing yourself with feta bread, University Cafe (a small Korean restaurant) and Amer’s Deli are right across the street, as is Rick’s…

4. University Towers

apartments

Photo by Alex Weiner

University Towers is on the corner of South University and South Forest, which I will now be referring to as Cravings Corner.  Why? Well, below University Towers, on Cravings Corner, is a BurgerFi, which just happens to be next door to an Insomnia Cookies.  If you say you’ve never had a craving for burgers, fries, milkshake and/or cookies, you are either a liar or not a human.

5. Zaragon Place

apartments

Photo by Alex Weiner

Located directly below Zaragon Place, Revive is everyone’s favorite place to end up spending $15+ on a salad. Next to Revive is Replenish, which has beer, wine and essential groceries, including Zingerman’s Bakehouse Bread. Having groceries directly below where you live is definitely a game-changer in Ann Arbor. Not sold yet? Well, on the same side of the street is Ray’s Red Hots, a restaurant dedicated to hot dogs, fries and milkshakes, and Pita Pit, a quick make-your-own sandwich joint.

6. Sterling 411 Lofts and Varsity Apartments

apartments

Photo courtesy of annarbor.com

Sterling 411 and Varsity are located right next to each other on Washington Street, above Babo.  Babo has a great selection of cold pressed juices, freshly baked goods, prepared foods for dine-in or for take-out, a full service deli counter, produce/grocery items and more. Although not talked about as frequently, Babo sandwiches rival both Zingermans and Maize and Blue. Unfortunately, the only other place located within steps of these buildings is a Subway, which cannot compete in a town where delicious, unique sandwiches are readily available.

7. Landmark Apartments

apartments

Photo courtesy of @derekalonzi on Instagram

Landmark (often referred to as Landfrat), attracts greek life with its many amenities and its reputation for the best pre-games.  Landmark residents can get to 7-Eleven without stepping foot outside, which is a huge perk.  Next to 7-Eleven is No Thai!, a common place to order Thai food delivery from. Although No Thai! tastes good while you’re eating it, I have never once heard someone say that they felt great once they finished their entire container of Drunken Noodles. If you’re looking for a sit-down Asian-cuisine meal, Saigon Garden is across the street. Although a majority of Wolverines will tell you Landmark is the best place to live, no one seems to rave about the food nearby…

8. Foundry Lofts

apartments

Photo courtesy of @ahmosgyro on Instagram

Foundry Lofts has wonderful amenities including: a self-serve coffee bar, a game room, a tanning bed, a pool and hot tub, a grilling area and an outdoor lounge with fire pit. BUT, what Foundry Lofts does not have is good food options nearby. If you live in Foundry, you can venture across the street to Ahmo’s, a Middle Eastern chain where you can find gyros as well as great fries.  Realistically, you probably became aquantied with it freshman year when you wanted to get rid of some dining dollars in the Union, but more than likely, you have not been back since.

In Ann Arbor, there are endless living options that all seem the same on the outside. But, we at Spoon are here to tell you that not every apartment building is created equal. Now, we’re not telling you to go out and sign a lease at a building simply for its convenient food options, but we wanted to give you the foodie’s perspective and equip you with the information you need to have the best food-filled year that you can.