I was out to dinner with my family once. After enjoying a lovely meal with my father and brother, the waitress came to clear our plates and asked if we would like to see the dessert menu. Without even thinking twice, I responded "just a coffee for me."

Only then, when my father didn't even order a coffee, I was hit with the fact that I may actually be becoming an adult. Kids don't order coffee after meals!

So I asked myself what else I do that is causing me to stray far from my childhood ways.

Ordering coffee after a meal.

Christina Robinson

I really don't even like the taste of coffee. So why do I feel the need to drink it after dinner? Something about the warmth of a cup of coffee after a good meal is satisfying. It provides the sweetness of a dessert but isn't as filling. Or maybe eating tires you out so much that you need an extra boost. That could also just be me though.

Some specialists agree that eating a large meal will cause drowsiness. Blood is being directed to the GI tract for digestion, so coffee is used to overcome some of the chemical effects of digestion. It all has to do with the secretion of the amino acid serotonin, which triggers sleep. You may want to think twice about skipping the dessert for coffee next time.

#SpoonTip: The more wholesome—and less processed—foods you eat (fruits, veggies, nuts, fish), the less serotonin will be released from your neurotransmitters.

Making sure to eat a well-balanced meal.

Christin Urso

I am unsure of when it became important to me to include a meat, grain, and vegetable in my meals. I used to be able to convince myself that Bagel Bites met all the necessary dietary requirements of a meal—bagel for starch, cheese for dairy, pepperoni for a little protein, and tomato sauce for my daily vegetable. I was all set.

I am now older (and slightly more wise) and have to the realization that you are what you eat. You need to put good things in your body if you want to feel good! Eat balanced. I promise it is worth it.

Being concerned about spending too much money at the bar.

Spoon University

I refuse to pay $10 for a mixed drink at a bar. It's essentially a glass of soda with probably less than a shot of alcohol in it. Nope. Drink before and drink a lot. I splurge on some things, and will at the liquor store, but am extremely stingy when it comes to drinking out.

I think this realization came to me when I left the bar one night with an $84 tab. No 8-hour work day pay is worth that one night.

#SpoonTip: bring some nips in your purse to the bar. Then just order a soda. It's way cheaper.

You wish it was still acceptable to eat cosmic brownies.

A photo posted by Rory Wojcik (@rorywoj) on

Nothing beats the feeling of opening your lunch box in middle school and finding one of these bad boys. Cosmic Brownies may have been the epitome of many childhoods, but the sad truth is these have 300 calories and nearly 14 grams of fat. 

I'm sorry Little Debbie, but the time has come to say goodbye.

You cook dinner for others.

Helena Lin

Adulting gets real when you cook meals for others because you want to. You're cooking capabilities are so complex that they can be shared with others. You believe your food tastes good, and are willing to make enough for more than one. Cooking can be therapeutic.

This also involves planning and buying groceries, two tasks that bring the adulting to a whole new level. Watch out Trader Joe's, here I come.

You use coupons at the grocery store.

Caty Schnack

Coupons can be such a hassle. You have to cut them out, and bring them all the way to the store. Then you have to find the exact product and buy what the coupon is indicating. It never was worth it. Until you realize every dollar matters. Five coupons used is an extra order of fries at dinner tonight. Think about what really matters. Coupons may be the answer.

You can no longer eat as many french fries as you want.

Arden Sarner

What I would give to be a kid again, where every meal was chicken tenders and french fries and life was great. Your metabolism is directly related to your muscle mass and body fat. Your metabolism can start decreasing as early as age 25. The only way to revive your metabolism is to stay active! Is it natural for the body to retain more fat as it ages, but exercise can help fight this. 

#SpoonTip: Your body's metabolism may decline 2%-4% each year, but anaerobic training is the key to staying on top of your health.

Drinking wine on weeknights (because you need to).

Steven Baboun

We have all been there: you have a long day at work, and sitting on the couch with a glass of wine and good movie is the only cure. You don't drink to get drunk, but a glass of wine (or two) is good for the soul. Alcohol triggers endorphins, which in turn make you happy. 

So break out the bottle and chic-flick, you now have a legitimate excuse for Wine Wednesdays.