It’s no secret that the South knows how to eat, and it just so happens that Georgia does it the best. With 23 food franchises headquartered in Atlanta, there is a reason they call us the fast food capital of the country. Whether it was 3 am and you needed greasy food, or it was a Monday and you needed a burrito, chances are you headed to a restaurant founded in Georgia. Check out these companies created down in the dirty south. We’ll just be here waiting for a thank you note.

1. Coca-Cola

Georgia

Photo courtesy of cincovidas.com

In the south, you don’t ask for a soda, you ask for a Coke. It’s just a way of life. Though the original recipe was created in Atlanta, Coca-Cola products are now found in almost every country on Earth. Not too bad for a little drink that started out as a patent medicine. If you’re looking to step up your soda game why not try these grown up sodas?

2. Chick-fil-A

Georgia

Photo by Jesse Palma

Though Chick-fil-A is still predominately found in the south, this fast food chain is slowly branching out to grace the rest of the country with their waffle fries. If you have been lucky enough to try their chicken sandwich, then you know this restaurant is a blessing to mankind. Just make sure you check your calendar before heading for a milkshake. There is nothing worse than driving all the way to Chick-fil-A only to realize it’s Sunday. No Chick-fil-A near you? Make your own chicken sandwich. 

3. Moe’s Southwest Grill

Georgia

Photo courtesy of menuism.com

Many have heard the heartwarming cries of, “Welcome to Moe’s” but only the truly lucky will get to hear the phrase at the original Moe’s in Buckhead, Georgia. There may be some debate between Chipotle and Moe’s, but at the end of the day Chipotle is lacking the major food that makes Moe’s great: queso. If you’re a self proclaimed queso fanatic, this queso mac and cheese is for you.

4. Waffle House

Georgia

Photo courtesy of jessicatoland.blogspot.com

The drunken mecca of the South, Waffle House is one of Georgia’s greatest creations. While the fast food trend was catching on, Waffle House stayed strong to its dine-in routes, and it has paid off. A question every Southerner must ask themselves is, if you got trashed and didn’t end the night with Waffle House, then did you even turn up? Or if you’re too drunk to find the nearest Waffle House try making your own waffles at home.

5. Terrapin

Georgia

Photo courtesy of @terrapinbeerco on Instagram

If you’re looking for the perfect ale to satisfy your thirst, look no further than Terrapin Beer Company. Founded in Athens, Terrapin offers 7 different flavors year round guaranteed to please even the pickiest of beer drinkers. Don’t believe us? Try their Hopsecutioner IPA. Watching your weight? Try one of these low calorie beers guaranteed to still give you a buzz.

6. Zaxby’s

Georgia

Photo courtesy of @chasechrisley on Instagram

Not only is Zaxby’s the perfect way to win the A-Z sign game on a long car trip, but they also have some of the best fast food chicken you’ll ever taste. If you’re blessed enough to have a Zaxby’s in your state, then you know that dipping chicken tenders into their signature Zax sauce is a holy experience. Not from the South? Time to learn the southern staples you’ve probably been missing out on for years.

7. SweetWater

Georgia

Photo courtesy of @sweetwaterbrew on Instagram

Though SweetWater is mainly found on the East Coast, the name should sound familiar thanks to a little thing called SweetWater 420 fest. Their beer is great, but they are also a brewing company with heart, and for years they have helped raise funds for Chattahoochee Riverkeeper. Considering the Chattahoochee River is the most endangered river in the country, next time you buy a six pack of SweetWater 420 give yourself a high five for helping support the environment. Want to impress your friends this summer? Learn how to open a beer bottle with a piece of paper.

8. Great American Cookies

Georgia

Photo courtesy of @greatamericancookies on Instagram

No elementary school food day was complete without a cookie cake from Great American Cookies. Whether you’re walking through the mall and craving something sweet, or you’re too lazy to bake your friend a cookie cake yourself, Great American Cookies will always be there for you in your time of need. Did you know you can make breakfast cookies that are actually healthy for you? Yeah, you’re welcome.

9. Teavana

Georgia

Photo courtesy of @teavanatea on Instagram

You may be familiar with Teavana thanks to Starbucks, but before partnering with the coffee company this tea haven started as a small store in Buckhead, Georgia. With over 60 loose leaf teas to choose from, it’s almost impossible to pick just one which is why Teavana offers a tea of the month program. Now you can get delicious tea without ever having to leave your house.