We all know that we are supposed to drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. That’s half a gallon of water a day that we need to be consuming! Regardless of the climate you live in, staying hydrated is extremely important especially in the summer months.

I know that I don’t drink 8 glasses of water a day, but I do get much of my water consumption from fruits and veggies with high water contents. This is key. Read on to learn about 9 nutritious foods you can incorporate into your diet that will keep you hydrated all day long.

1. Cucumbers

hydrated

Photo by Sarah Silbiger

Cucumbers are 96.7% water which is the highest water content of any food. With that said, cucumbers are a great option when you’re feeling a bit dehydrated in the summer. Not only do cucumbers provide you with hydration, but they also help to eliminate toxins from your body and are full of magnesium and potassium which are minerals that do great things for your skin.

Check out this cucumber, avo, and tomato salad recipe that would be perfect for lunch by the pool.

2. Spinach

hydrated

Photo by Kathleen Lee

Spinach is 91% water and a hydrating vegetable that can be used in so many different kinds of recipes. I love to add spinach in my egg white omelettes and about a cup of spinach in my morning smoothies. Check out this recipe if you’re talkin’ spinach in your dranks.

If you don’t think you’d like spinach in a smoothie, just know that you won’t be able to taste it and at the same time you will be consuming healthy amounts of potassium, fiber and folate, all packed into your morning drink.

3. Watermelon

hydrated

Photo by Kathleen Lee

Watermelon, just like spinach, is 91% water and is my favorite fruit to eat during the summer. What’s better than a cold and juicy slice of watermelon on a hot day? This beautiful fruit contains lycopene which is a cancer-fighting antioxidant found in the majority of red fruits and veggies.

Check out this easy-to-make watermelon salad recipe that will accompany your meal perfectly on a warm summer night.

4. Broccoli

hydrated

Photo by Boomette

This is another delicious green vegetable that, when made right, can taste really freakin’ good. Broccoli is 90% water and contains high amounts of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, potassium, and fiber. Trust me, eating broccoli will do good things for your body and it will definitely keep you hydrated.

Check out this recipe that will help you out when you’re trying to make your broccoli taste delicious.

5. Yogurt

hydrated

Photo courtesy of mimis_meals on Instagram

Did you know that plain yogurt contains about 85-88% water? Whether you have a parfait for breakfast, add a dollop in your smoothies, or just want some yogurt as a snack, it is sure to keep you feeling refreshed and hydrated throughout the summer. Not only does yogurt contain healthy amounts of Vitamin B12 and calcium, but it also has probiotics in it that will improve your health and digestive system.

Check out this quick and easy yogurt parfait recipe that is perfect to make on a warm summer morning.

6. Celery

hydrated

Photo by Elizabeth Layman

Celery is about 95% water and provides a nice crunch to a salad and are great veggies to dip into hummus or any other spread. This vegetable will keep you hydrated and is packed with nutrients such as Vitamin K and potassium that are so beneficial to your health.

Check out this summer chopped salad recipe that is bound to be delicious!

7. Strawberries

hydrated

Photo courtesy of lifehack.org

Strawberries are 91% water and contain the most vitamin C out of all berries. Not only are they hydrating and refreshing, they contain folate which is a B-vitamin contributing to the growth of new cells. Strawberries are so yummy and can be used in a variety of ways!

Check out this recipe if you’re looking to satisfy that sweet tooth of yours.

8. Papaya

hydrated

Photo courtesy of dreamatico.com

Papaya is a sweet and buttery fruit that is rich in antioxidants and nutrients which help to boost the immune system as well as improve digestion. A hydrating fruit, papaya can be such a yummy snack during the summer when ripe and juicy.

9. Tomatoes

hydrated

Photo by Nancy Chen

Tomatoes contain almost 95% water and are one of the ultimate hydrating foods. They’re delicious in sandwiches, salads, soups, and sauces, and provide a nice texture amongst other veggies in an omelette. There’s nothing better than ripe tomatoes in the summertime so enjoy them while they last!

Check out this recipe that you can make as a dank appetizer for a dinner party.

So, if you’re not the kind of person who carries around your water bottle everywhere you go, don’t worry. Incorporate these foods into your daily meals and I promise that you will not feel dehydrated.