Spain seems to be one of the most popular places to study abroad for college students nowadays. With cities like Barcelona, Madrid, and Seville, it’s no wonder that students would be picking this beautiful European location to spend a semester in. If you’ve been to Spain, I’m sure you can agree that the food is dope. If you’re planning on going to Spain, you my friend will find out very soon just how good it is. As a Spaniard, believe me when I say that these are some of the best foods in Spain:

1. Churros

spain

Photo courtesy of alwaysfabulousandclassy.blogspot.com

By churros, I mean real churros. Not that Taco Bell version where you’ve been fooled after the first bite realizing it’s 75% air. What I’m talking about is a churro that is ridiculously crispy on the outside and once you get through that outside layer, your teeth sink into that delicious dough and you suddenly realize all you’ve been doing for the past five minutes is mumbling gibberish because it’s so damn good.

2. Ensaimadas

spain

Photo courtesy of thebestspanishrecipes.com

Ensaimadas are pastries in the shape of a spiral that are about the size of your hand (PSA: You can also get some that are the size of your face). If you’re curious to know which one I get, just follow my motto: More food is the best food. Other than the fact that they are super fun to eat, they’re perfect for a quick breakfast if you’re in a rush (like me, always) since they can be quite filling and still give you a boost of energy. Or, you could eat them after a relaxing siesta. Click here if you want to learn how to make these bad boys.

#SpoonTip: They are also absolutely amazing if you spread some nutella on them.

3. Chocolate Caliente

spain

Photo courtesy of spanishfood.about.com

Why in the world would I tell you to order a hot chocolate in Spain? Listen, you will not be disappointed. Hot chocolate in Spain is nothing like the wussy-mostly-water kind we have here in the U.S. This is a badass drink that is so rich, I swear it’s like sipping on the finest melted chocolate bar you can find. I recommend having something on the side to dip in or eat along with this drink, the most common is churros. This combination is most popular during winter. Seriously, people will literally walk through the cold to go to a cafe and order this just to have those 10 minutes of pure bliss.

4. Horchata

spain

Photo courtesy of horchata.eu

You CANNOT leave Spain without ordering, “una horchata, porfavor.” When you finally taste it, you’ll understand why I’m strictly enforcing that you must try this drink. It only has three ingredients, but the flavor just explodes in your mouth. It’s different from Mexican horchata in that it is less milky and sweet, and it is usually eaten with a pastry. This Spanish drink is an all time favorite, and it’s super healthy so even if you are vegan, dieting, or even lactose intolerant, you are 100% okay to try this drink.

5. Trufas de Chocolate de ‘Chocolates Martinez’

spain

Photo by Esther Castellanos

You can get chocolate truffles anywhere, but not like these. If you’re ever in Valencia, you should stop by Chocolates Martinez and order your beautiful self some truffles. This place is known to have one of the best kind of truffles in the entirety of Spain. These truffles are so delicious (rich and gooey with a perfect hint of crunch) that you’ll mindlessly stop walking in the middle of the street just to enjoy the greatness like I did when I tried them.

6. Pan con Tumaca

spain

Photo courtesy of huffingtonpost.es

This is my number one favorite breakfast. Toast some baguette bread, take a nice ripe tomato to spread all over, and drip some olive oil on top. I guarantee you (from first hand experience) that this breakfast is much more satisfying than a bowl of sugar. Soon, you’ll probably be incorporating it into all your meals because why not?

#SpoonTip: If you’re feeling frisky, put some Jamón Ibérico on top… it’ll do the job (Iberian Ham is another must try).

7. Gazpacho

spain

Photo courtesy of saborina.com

Who doesn’t enjoy a refreshing appetizer on a warm day? Whether you’re in Spain during the summer, fall, or spring, Gazpacho will never disappoint you. The recipe is super healthy and it just tastes f*cking great.

8. Croquetas

spain

Photo by Esther Castellanos

If I could eat these little balls of deliciousness every day during every meal, I would. I am actually getting frustrated that I can’t have one (or ten) right now. Croquetas are made of either ham, chicken, or fish that are mashed up, shaped into a little ball, and fried. They are so common in Spain, you can practically order them anywhere (booYAAH).

9. Tapas

spain

Photo courtesy of imujer.com

I’m 95% sure you’ve heard of Tapas before. Tapas are just really small portions of all kinds of different food that you can choose to order. If you tend to have a bigger appetite like me (shocker), you’re probably thinking to yourself, “Tapas aren’t for me.” Wrong. Tapas are for everyone. Even if you do have a big appetite, you can still eat a lot of really scrumptious food by ordering lots of tapas; and if you don’t have a big appetite, the portions are small. Either way, it’s a win-win.

#SpoonTip: Ordering some beer along with your tapas really sets the vibe.

10. Tortilla española

spain

Photo courtesy of pequerecetas.com

There are a lot of myths about what a tortilla really is. Tortilla española is simply made with eggs and potatoes (and it is not flat like an omelette). You could eat it as your main dish, but usually its purpose is to complement whatever else you are eating. You can also order tortilla as a tapa at any bar or cafe… it’s THAT yummy.

11. Paella

spain

Photo courtesy of paellaweb.net

I promise you real Spanish paella tastes nothing like one you’ve ever tried. The recipe consists of rice, garlic, beans, chicken, and spices along with some other ingredients. It really is a special dish that once you start eating, the devil inside you will not let you stop.