These finger-lickin’ treats, snacks and hors d’oeuvres will divert the attention from the big game to your “advanced” culinary skills. After minimal preparation and effort, people will be raving about your dish.

1. Mango Salsa and Blue Corn Tortilla Chips

finger food

Photo by Steven Baboun

A unique twist on the traditional chips and salsa, this addictive healthy alternative will spice up the party. To make the salsa, first purchase or make one jar of medium-spice traditional salsa. Then mix in about half of a mango in a blender or food processor until you reach your preferred level of chunk. This adds a fruity and tangy flavor that compliments the spicy jalapeño perfectly.

2. Bugle Dip

finger food

Photo courtesy of food.com

This often forgotten yet adored chip dip will create monsters that crave the cheesy goodness. To create the glutinous dip, combine cream cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, a sweet onion and mayonnaise and bake until glistening. Stick Bugles on all five fingers, of course, and literally dig in. It may sound like a cardiovascular disaster, and it probably is, but after one bite, you will never eat a different dip in your life.

3. Spanakopita

finger food

Photo courtesy of dishmaps.com

This delicacy is a necessary finger food from the Mediterranean. Lay out flaky filo dough and spread a spinach mixture consisting of cooked spinach, feta cheese, an egg and olive oil. Fold the dough and bake for a traditional Greek hors d’oeuvre. People will definitely go back for seconds and thirds or even fifths.

4. Bruschetta

finger food

Photo by Yair Sakols, Northwestern University

This Italian transport dish is sure to brighten up the food table at every sporting event.  Simply buy a hearty baguette, lightly drizzle on some olive oil and then bake it to a toasty golden brown. Remove it from the oven and place a small slice of tomato (or diced tomatoes with basil) and a piece of spice-marinated mozzarella cheese. These will disappear quickly so make enough to last through half-time.

5. Melted Brie

finger food

Photo by Kai Huang, Northwestern University

Brie is the royalty of cheeses and there is only one way to make it even better: melt it. Melted brie can be paired with either a cracker or apple slice and is sure to make you look sophisticated. Spread pesto or a drizzle of honey on it before putting the brie in the oven for an unforgettable twist.

6. Layer Dip 

finger food

Photo by Maddy Shannon, Northwestern University

No football game would be complete without the classic 7 layer dip. The combination of refried beans, cheese, salsa, more cheese, guac, sour cream and hot sauce is sinfully delicious.

7. Garlic Bread

finger food

Photo courtesy of grandbaby-cakes.com

Everyone loves bread, and butter, and cheese and garlic. The smell alone will entice your guests. Their eyes will widen and their mouth will water when you and your magical garlic bread enter the room. So watch out because you might be the one getting tackled.

8. Puff Pastry Wrapped Asparagus

finger food

Photo by Sarah Stettin, University of Michigan

I was never a big fan of asparagus growing up but this recipe for wrapping them in puff pastry puts my past in the past. By searing the asparagus in a little olive oil and lemon juice you can add a citrusy tang that will compliment the buttery pastry.

9. Nutella Filled Strawberries

finger food

Photo courtesy of onechaptertoanother.wordpress.com

A twist on the popular chocolate covered strawberries, this sweet pairing will disappear in no time leaving latecomers disappointed. To make these, simply carve out the stem area of the strawberries and insert a small dollop of Nutella into the core. It is a perfect small bite to top off your sweet tooth after devouring the entire Super Bowl feast.

Suggested Reads