New Jersey has earned itself a reputation of mainly Italians partying at Seaside, but those of us born and raised in the Garden State know there is way more to New Jersey than “gym, tan, laundry.” New Jersey is a melting pot of cultures, all of which offer some incredible bites that are unique to our home state.

Pizza

jersey

Photo courtesy of elsoar.com

Though those across the Hudson would disagree, Jersey pizza really is the best. Our pizza is made the real Italian way: with a thin crust and always fresh. As a Jersey girl, the thought of ordering from a chain pizzeria is appalling. Only real Italians can serve up my pizza.

Bagels

jersey

Photo courtesy of piggysdeli.com

Some say it’s something in the water and others say it’s just the family recipes, but there is no doubt that NJ bagels are the best. Jersey bagels are soft on the inside, tough on the outside and always fresh. You just can’t get bagels like these anywhere else and Einstein’s sure doesn’t cut it.

Diners 

jersey

Photo by Kirby Barth

Diners are as common in Jersey as Waffle Houses are down south. They provide a one-stop-shop for every cuisine, anytime of the day, including menu items like gyros, eggplant parmesan, banana pancakes, minestrone soup, sweet potato fries, sirloin steak, crazy omelets and the always juicy burgers. And of course, every good New Jerseyan knows the best time to go is 2 a.m. after you leave the bowling alley.

Wawa

jersey

Photo by Jennice Curtis

You live and breathe Wawa if you were raised in the Southern New Jersey or neighboring Philly area. We all have a countdown until Hoagiefest begins every summer and pray that we never leave on the aluminum cover before putting our F’real milkshakes in the blender.

Salt Water Taffy 

jersey

Photo by Jim Stolling

If the taste alone of this amazing treat doesn’t make you crave summer, just think of the childhood memories of skipping down to the candy store on the shore.

Taylor Pork Roll 

jersey

Photo by Jim Stolling

This Jersey specialty traces back its roots in Trenton. Usually it consists of grilled thin cuts of taylor ham and is commonly eaten as a breakfast sandwich with egg and cheese on a bagel or roll.

Hoagies and Subs

jersey

Photo by Casper Kulles

Don’t bother asking your mom or girlfriend to make you a sandwich, Jersey has you covered. Jersey Mike’s Subs didn’t get it’s name from anywhere and nobody can forget the famous Hoagie Haven located in Princeton.

Produce 

jersey

Photo by Nicola Brooks

We are called the Garden State for two reasons: our Jersey tomatoes and sweet corn. Jersey tomatoes are sweeter than your average tomato and have a bright red color when they ripen. And for a state that grills like Texas BBQ’s, we love to have some sweet corn tossed on the grill in the summertime.

Italian Ice 

jersey

Photo courtesy urbanspoon.com

With Italians running around the hot Jersey Shore all day, it makes sense to sell some ice to cool off. Jersey residents know what good Italian ice is and even though Rita’s Italian Ices is always a great stop, traditional Italian Ices are a New Jersey specialty.