In 1986, tofu was declared America’s most loathed food. With recent trends in vegetarianism and veganism, however, tofu is becoming increasingly popular as a low-cost, high-protein option. Still, it remains known as a sort of “mystery meat” to many, a bland, jiggly substance that’s difficult to prepare. But chances are, if you hate it, you haven’t had it prepared correctly.

There are three types of tofu. Usually meals with savory pan-fried tofu are made with the firm and extra-firm varieties that can hold up to stir-fry. On the other hand, silken tofu is soft, with a delicate, pudding-like texture that is ideal for whipping up creamy desserts.

Need help with transforming these jiggly blocks into mouthwatering meals and tasty treats? Check these recipes out. Almost all of them are vegan, but all of them are healthy and delicious.

Vegetable Stir-Fry with Tofu and Sesame Ginger Sauce

Photo by Katherine Baker

This one’s a classic. Skip the stuff from Chinese takeout and make this instead. It’s healthy, quick and easy and you’ll know exactly what’s in it. Bonus: it’s vegan, which makes it perfect for Meatless Monday.

Chocolate Pudding

Photo by Katherine Baker

This chocolate pudding recipe is the stuff of dreams. Huge bonus: it only takes five minutes to prepare. Your secret is safe with me.

Pesto Spaghetti Squash Bake

Photo by Kristine Mahan

This amazing dish is a cross between lasagna and baked ziti. Oh-so-homey but without any of the heavy cheese and sauces.

Sweet and Savory Tofu Pancakes

Photo by Kelda Baljon

Looking to spice up your pancake-syrup combination? These sweet and savory pancakes have got you covered. Delicious, chock-full of protein and it can be made gluten-free.

Chocolate Silk Pie with Speculoos Crust

Photo by Katharine Baker

This chocolate silk pie is rich, decadent and insanely easy to make. Not only that, but it’s also high in protein and free of eggs and dairy. Plus it’s vegan. What more can you ask for?

Peanut Sesame Noodles

Photo by Julia Liang

This dish is incredibly easy, perfect for those days when you’re looking for a spin on your boring, everyday pasta. Who can resist noodles smothered in peanut sauce? Nobody.

Sofrita Bowls

Photo by Katherine Baker

When you’re too broke for Chipotle, make your own sofrita bowls at home. This spicy, satisfying and healthy meal is going to appease even the most die-hard Chipotle fan out there.

Portobello Pizzas

Photo by Paige Twombly

Did you know that crumbled tofu actually makes a wonderful topping on pizzas? These pizzas made from portobello mushrooms can satisfy your cravings without packing on the pounds. It’s a win-win situation.