Ah, adulthood. That magical time of life where you have to book your own doctor appointments, try to keep plants alive, and occasionally feed yourself. Naturally, in the priority list of life, food comes first. Thankfully, Trader Joe’s is one of the easiest stores to shop at for quick and easy adult meals. Your mother would be so proud.

You know you’re in college when Trader Joe’s becomes like Forever 21; you can’t leave empty-handed. My mission was to grab some dorm-friendly, multiple-use items and keep the price limit to $20. There are a plethora of yummy options to snatch up, so this list is just a starting point.

1. Greek non-fat yogurt, $0.99

Trader Joe's

Photo by Taylor Villanueva

Gotta start with breakfast! Excellent selection of yogurt flavors for only a dollar. Sold.

2. Coffee medium roast, $4.99

Trader Joe's

Photo by Taylor Villanueva

If caffeine is your drug of choice, you can’t get a better flavor for your money than Joe’s medium roast. Not too bitter or strong.

Trader Joe's

Photo by Taylor Villanueva

However, unlike me, remember to grind your beans (for free!) before you leave the store otherwise you will be sadly disappointed as I was at 8 the next morning … I don’t want to talk about it.

3. Blueberries, $2.99

Trader Joe's

Photo by Taylor Villanueva

It’s scientifically proven that purchasing fruit on your own is the mark of a sophisticated adult. Trust me. Plus, this is an excellent price for such delicious and magical berries.

4. Ground turkey, 1 lb, $2.99

Trader Joe's

Photo by Taylor Villanueva

Turkey is a lighter meat than beef and an excellent addition to a clean-eating diet. Don’t know what wonderful thing to cook first? We’ve got you covered: a simple turkey meatball recipe and ohomemade turkey burgers that’ll improve your weeknight dinner routine.

5. Arugula and Parmigiano Reggiano ravioli, $2.99

Trader Joe's

Photo by Taylor Villanueva

This tastes like you know what you’re doing with your life. It is especially useful for tricking your roommates into thinking that you are a responsible, cultured adult. Boil them in a pot, add some simple white wine lemon butter pasta sauce, and you are good to go.

6. Avocado, $0.99

Trader Joe's

Photo by Taylor Villanueva

This magic fruit will be ripe within 24 hours, lending to endless options for consumption.

7. No-stir crunchy peanut butter, $1.99

Trader Joe's

Photo by Taylor Villanueva

Sometimes (as an adult), you just have to sit down on the couch and eat peanut butter out of the jar with a spoon. No shame.

8. Gone bananas!, $1.99

Trader Joe's

Photo by Taylor Villanueva

And finally for dessert, chocolate covered frozen bananas. Totally guilt-free, no assembly required.

At the end of my Trader Joe’s adventure, I performed a feat of great strength and made it just under $20.

Trader Joe's

Photo by Taylor Villanueva

The final look for ~aesthetics~

Trader Joe's

Photo by Taylor Villanueva

Congratulations to us all for taking the first step into adulthood.