We all need a little boost in our lives. Whether you are upset about a test you took, stressed about an upcoming event, or just generally feeling lethargic, we all rely on certain coping mechanisms to make us feel better.

That mood boost may come from your friends, a physical activity, or some alone time, but in some situations these may not be options. Instead, turn to the most reliable and well known comforting agent of all–food.

Rather than turning to popular college eats like pizza or ramen noodles that are sure to leave you feeling tired and unfocused, stock your room with these superfoods that will leave you feeling satisfied and energized.

So get munchin’, Superman.

1. Coffee

superfoods

Photo by David Whinery

Yes, that may be a given, but the reason may not be what you initially think. Caffeine has been proven to increase the brain’s access to dopamine and serotonin. These are chemicals that signal your brain to be happy. Hence, the term “caffeine high.”

2. Walnuts and Flax Seeds

superfoods

Photo by David Whinery

These contain alpha-linolenic acid, which is linked to dopamine and serotonin release in the brain. When released, dopamine is what makes you feel joy, and serotonin inhibits your feelings of anger and aggression.

3. Pomegranate Juice

superfoods

Photo by David Whinery

Its powers decrease blood pressure, anxiety, and depression.

4. Yogurt

superfoods

Photo by David Whinery

The probiotic bacteria in your yogurt is the same kind that lives in your intestines. These organisms communicate with your brain, letting it know your body is doing A-okay.

5. Mushrooms

superfoods

Photo by David Whinery

Shrooms contain elements (if you have or are currently suffering through chemistry you will be familiar with these) named selenium and magnesium that are known to uplift moods.

6. Apricots

superfoods

Photo by David Whinery

These little guys, dried or fresh, contain vitamin B6 and other antioxidants that  are linked to increased mood.

7. Chocolate

superfoods

Photo by David Whinery

Another popular go-to for it’s mood boosting powers. It contains polyphenol, which–believe it or not–mimics the effect of marijuana.

So next time you’re feeling rotten, turn to your fridge for that brain power you’re searching for. If you ever just so happen to be abroad and searching for more food for your feelings, check out these Barcelona happy pills.

Like this? We figured. Why don’t you pin it?

re_DK_FuQYqisD2kJPBjEleVkXaEwt6uV11bqBsfr_Q

Still hungry? Check these out: