Food- yeah everyone says they’re all about it, but for you, food takes on a whole new meaning. At school, you’re surrounded by a cornucopia of choices, some good, some bad, and some ugly. Yet you’ve dared to pilot the dangerous wasteland that is your dining hall and somehow have emerged unscathed.

We’ve managed to chronicle your journey through the mystery meat maze and have compiled a list of what makes a college foodie so unique.

1. You know when to go to the dining hall and when to skip it

college foodie

Photo by Bridgette Heschel

Dining hall breakfast during the week? No sir, you’ve got better and cheaper food from Kroger in your fridge. But if you do have some meal plan credits burning a hole in your pocket check out Super Brunch at Western on Sundays, it’s a must for having a relaxing meal, and maybe getting some studying done. If you have more time, check out First Stop at Maplestreet Station for a well deserved sit down breakfast experience.

2. You (try) to cook at least once a week

college foodie

Photo by Priya Mehra

You need to be reminded why life is good: good food. So sometimes you gotta make time in your already packed life to give your soul some nourishment. It doesn’t have to be a crazy meal, but a little home cooked food can go a looooooong way.

3. If the pitiful dorm kitchen is being used, it’s probably by you or your friends

college foodie

Photo by Russell Escalada

No one else is going to use it, you might as well take advantage, right? And double bonus, you actually make it smell good in your hall. Who doesn’t love the smell of roasted veggies? People also seek you out to try your food, or better yet, to ask for help cooking their own. Also, you always clean up when you’re all done.

4. You’re counting down the days til the local farmers’ market opens

college foodie

Photo by Priya Mehra

One week, five days, 12 hours, 37 minutes, and 54 seconds until the next market, last time I checked.  During the season, grab anything from zucchini to bell peppers, tons of tomatoes, apples galore, berries, melons, fresh bread, preserves, and egg sandwiches. Also watch food demos (some by moi), and even buy fresh flowers and funky crafts.

5. You know your way around the off-campus restaurants

college foodie

Photo by Jenny McGregor

You know which place has got the weekday dinner specials, and the weekend lunch specials. Plus, everyone comes to you when they want to know where to get the best food in town. Kona has weekday $6 lunch specials and delicious “yesterday’s” soups, and Quarter Barrel  has $6 Lavosh for dinner on Wednesdays that are amazing.

6. You have a stash of your fave foods either in your fridge, or under your bed

college foodie

Photo by Priya Mehra

… and your desk drawers, and shelves, and on top of your dresser (oops). At least you won’t go hungry. You’ve got everything from trail mix to those homemade muffins your mom knows you love. Don’t forget your own latest homemade creation in the fridge or freezer, because when you go home you cook up a storm. Also, you might be taking over the common room freezer as well.

7. Um, take a look at your phone pics.

college foodie

Photo by Analiese Trimber

Or your insta?
Case closed, welcome aboard.

Live the foodie life with these related articles: