Apples are essential, but often overlooked, sources of many beneficial things that help improve our health and reduce our chances of disease. Incorporate an apple into your daily diet and you may just see some profound lasting effects!

1. They lower your cholesterol and strengthen your heart

How to Turn Regular Apples into Apple Pie Roses

Photo by Molly Gamache

Apples contain soluble fiber and polyphenols (antioxidant compounds), both of which prevent the oxidation of “bad” cholesterol that causes buildup in your arteries. This in turn reduces your risk of heart disease. Show your love for apples with a bouquet of apple pie roses, featured above.

2. They reduce your risk of diabetes

Photo by Ben Rosenstock

The soluble fiber in apples also helps prevent sugar swings, regulating blood sugar and preventing type 2 diabetes. But be sure to eat the whole fruit – drinking just the juice could actually increase your risk of diabetes. For a little added sweetness, try out baked cinnamon apples, easy whipped up in the microwave.

3. They brighten your smile

You’ve Been Eating Apples Wrong Your Whole Life, and Here’s Why

Photo by Kimberlee John

The acidity of the apple’s inside combined with its tough flesh makes it an ideal teeth whitener. Maybe test out if the new way of eating apples is even more effective…

4. They lower your risk of developing many types of cancer

Loaded Peanut Butter Apple Slices You Can Make in the Dining Hall

Photo by Mulin Xiong

Research has found many different qualities of apples to help with preventing different types of cancers. The phytochemicals can prevent breast cancer, and their ability to affect the metabolism of cancer-causing chemicals, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory systems may reduce the risk of lung and colon cancer. Slather them with a little peanut butter and some healthy toppings for a perfect snack.

5. They improve your neurological health

This Brie and Apple Grilled Cheese Is Decadent AF

Photo by Emily Bloch

Apples can help reduce cellular death, increase production of memory-improving neurotransmitters, and decrease the risk of neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s by protecting neuronal cells against stress-induced neurotoxicity. In simple terms, they keep your brain young! And while you’re embracing your eternal youth, why not jazz up a childhood favorite with this fancy apple and brie grilled cheese?

6. They detoxify your liver

Chickpea, Sweet Potato and Apple Farro Salad

Photo by Katherine Baker

Dump that juice cleanse down the drain and pick up a detoxifying apple instead! Full of vitamins, minerals, and good phytochemicals, apples can help stimulate bile production to help the liver remove toxins. They also contain pectin, a soluble fiber that helps remove metals and food additives from your bloodstream. This superfood salad is sure to leave you feeling refreshed and refueled.

7. They improve your immune system

Guide to Picking the Right Apple

Photo by Lily Allen

The soluble fiber in apples helps to boost your immune system, literally validating the saying, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away.” While you’re at it, make sure you’re picking the best type of apple for your purposes with this handy guide.