Doctors and Gwyneth Paltrow alike have been raving about the new aloe vera drink that’s been hitting the shelves recently. Apparently aloe isn’t just for helping heal your sunburns or looking pretty on your window sill, drinking it can now help improve your health in more ways than one. Gwyneth Paltrow raves on her website goop about the skincare boost you get from aloe vera juice, but there are some benefits even she’s not mentioning. This new drink that you’ll see by the counter in most Asian restaurants is more than just refreshing, it can actually make you a little healthier (giving you more opportunities to cheat).

1. It’s rich in antioxidants.

Photo by Elise Takahama

Photo by Elise Takahama

You know that thing that everyone always says is in blueberries? Well, it’s also in aloe vera juice. The antioxidants in the aloe vera juice help to prevent cell damage, acting as internal soldiers against outside invaders. Aloe Vera Juice will be there to protect you.

2. It has tons of vitamins.

Packed with vitamins A, C, E and folic acid, this drink helps with your immune system and general health. This drink adds that little something to get your immune system through the end of the semester and the health pick me up to make you feel bomb.

3. It has anti-inflammatory properties.

Aloe

Photo by Elise Takahama

Just a general benefit to your health, this can help with acne and redness, prevention of illness and disease, and makes your joints move more easily. The anti-inflammatory benefits will let you move through the world with ease and a bit of a self-confidence boost.

4. It boosts your metabolism.

A drink that boosts your metabolism without having to put cayenne pepper in it. With none of the off putting flavor most metabolism boosting drinks have, this one naturally has the ability boost your metabolism and help you burn more calories. Now you have a reason to indulge at your next meal.

5. It helps with digestion.

Enough said.

6. It detoxes the body.

Aloe

Photo by Elise Takahama

Not just a thing with juice cleanses, aloe vera juice helps to naturally filter out all of the negative bacteria and unhealthy substances clogging up your body. The drink will effectively start the process for your body, making the statement “new year, new me” even more accurate.

7. It revitalizes your skin.

Gwyneth Paltrow’s favorite part about this drink, aloe vera juice does wonders for your skin from the inside out. With anti-inflammatory qualities to take down acne and irritation, and the punch of vitamins, this drink will give you the benefits and glow of a facial without the mess, cost or time.

Packed with all of these health benefits, this sweet and slightly sour drink is rightfully in the spotlight now. Step aside coconut water, aloe vera juice is here to stay as the refreshing and healthy alternative to water.