If there’s one thing we all love, it’s a cat. So, why not treat our purr-fect little fluff balls to real food instead of that chicken by-product in a can? I’m talking to you, Friskies.

Of course, you have to be wary about what you feed your cat, since their stomachs can’t handle everything we can eat. Here are a few foods that are cat-friendly and a few that aren’t, according to WebMD.

Foods that are safe:

1. Meat

Cat

Photo by Monica Cheng

Cats are carnivores and need meat in their diets to survive (sorry vegans, but you can’t put your cat on a plant-based diet). Give your kitty some cooked beef, chicken, turkey, even deli meats from your local grocery store. Be careful and don’t feed them raw meat, or you could make your cat sick.

2. Fish

Cat

Photo courtesy of Flickr user vandertramps

Everyone knows cats enjoy a nice piece of tuna every once in a while. Fish are high in omega-3s, which help your cat’s eyes stay sharp. But make sure you moderate the amount of fish your cat eats, or they could ingest too much mercury, fatty acids, and magnesium that could lead to health problems. Also, stay away from raw fish.

3. Whole Grains

Cat

Photo courtesy of theweightmonitor.com

Whole grains are great for cats since they have a lot of protein in them to make your cat mighty and strong. Grains are very simple to make, too, so you and your cat can enjoy them within a few minutes. Some grains cats can enjoy are corn, oats, millet, couscous, and polenta. Make sure the grains are fully cooked so your cat can digest them.

4. Eggs

Cat

Photo by Kai Huang

Ahh, yes, the almighty egg. Now you can make breakfast for you and your cat to enjoy. Eggs are another great source of protein for cats, but just make sure the egg isn’t raw so your kitty won’t get sick.

5. Fruits

Cat

Photo by Sarah Wu

Fruits are a great source of fiber and vitamins not only for humans but for cats as well. A few fruits your kitty can munch on include peeled apples (apple skin is no bueno for your gato), blueberries, bananas, cantaloupe, and pumpkin.

6. Vegetables

Cat

Photo by Lynden Orr

There are quite a few veggies that cats can eat that can be prepared in a variety of ways. They have a bunch of vitamins, fiber, and water that can keep your cat in tip-top shape. Try feeding your cat fresh cucumbers, spinach, steamed broccoli and asparagus, or some mashed potatoes.

7. Cheese

Cat

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

Cheese is okay for cats in small amounts. It’s high in protein, but not as high as other options on this list. Many cats also can’t digest dairy well, so make sure your kitty lays low with the cheddar.

In addition to healthy human food, make sure you stay away from these foods that are toxic for cats.

Foods that aren’t safe:

1. Chocolate

Cat

Photo by Christin Urso

Chocolate is never a good idea for any animal. Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, which are highly toxic for cats and can cause heart arrhythmias, muscle tremors, or seizures.

2. Grapes/Raisins

Cat

Photo by Naib Mian

Animals can suffer acute kidney failure from eating grapes and raisins, so make sure your kitty stays away from them.

3. Onions

Cat

Photo by Sarah Stettin

Cats need to be weary when eating onions. A little bit of onion every now and then isn’t terrible, but eating onion on a daily basis can cause anemia in felines.

4. Garlic

Cat

Photo by Kai Huang

Garlic is not good for cats’ sensitive digestive systems. Eating a clove of garlic can cause your cat to suffer digestive problems and upset their stomach. It is also part of the onion family, so if a cat eats a lot of garlic, it can lead to similar complications as stated above.

5. Macadamia Nuts

Cat

Photo courtesy of sunnysun0803 on Pixabay

Macadamia nuts and walnuts are reported to be toxic for pets. Animals that have consumed nut kernels or nut butters made from these nuts suffered from temporary muscle tremors and hindlimb weakness/paralysis.

6. Bread Dough

Cat

Photo by Natalie Choy

There are a lot of problems that come with feeding your cat bread dough. First off, since the yeast rises when it’s not cooked, the dough inflates in your kitty’s stomach, which stretches out their abdomens and causes severe pain. Second, when the yeast rises, it produces alcohol, which could give your cat alcohol poisoning.

7. Alcohol

Cat

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

If you ever wanted to get your cat drunk, just don’t even try it. Your cat can get severe liver and/or brain damage. As little as two teaspoons of alcohol can put your cat in a coma, so it’s best for your cat to stay away from the vodka. If your heart is really set on getting turnt with your feline, you can check out some cat-friendly wine here.

8. Xylitol (an artificial sweetener found in candy and gum)

Cat

Photo by Emma Delaney

Xylitol is found in a lot of sugar-free products, usually in gum. Xylitol is known to cause a severe drop in blood sugar followed by liver failure in animals, so make sure your cat stays away from anything containing this.

Now, go make a gourmet meal for you and your frisky kitty.

Cat

GIF courtesy of pusheen.com