With the Olympics coming up this summer, all eyes are fixed on Brazil. For me, however, it’s actually my stomach that’s fixated on Brazil and its amazing potential. Since I won’t be able to actually travel to Rio and sample Brazil’s culinary genius in person, I thought I would do both myself and all foodies out there a big favor and brainstorm some classic Brazilian dishes that anyone can easily whip up in the comfort of their own kitchen.

1. Sugar-Dusted Avocado

brazil

Photo by Fernanda Ribas

Here in the States, we tend to view avocado as a savory ingredient. We eat it by the bucketful in the form of guacamole, savor it when used as a topping for spicy chillies and stews, and enthusiastically spread it on our morning slice of toast. But in Brazil, people have figured out how to effortlessly capitalize on the sweet potential of this creamy superfood. Simply sprinkle a bit of sugar on top, and dig in! It’s refreshing, sweet, and filling — the perfect summer treat.

2. Fried Bananas

brazil

Photo courtesy of the Ribas Family

Extremely popular among Brazilians and incredibly easy to make, this banana dessert is perfectly caramelized, perfectly buttery, and perfect for your wallet as well.

3. Pao de Queijo

brazil

Photo courtesy of the Ribas Family

These fluffy little balls of gooey, cheesy deliciousness are actually allergy-friendly as well. They’re traditionally made with tapioca flour, not all-purpose wheat flour. So all you gluten-free foodies out there? It’s celebration time, because you’ve just discovered your ultimate snack food.

4. Brigadeiros

brazil

Photo courtesy of the Ribas Family

These tasty little fudge balls only require four ingredients, but those four ingredients combine to make some unforgettable food magic. It’s no wonder they’re served at every single Brazilian party, dinner, and gathering — no, literally. Every. Single. One.

5. Pacoca

brazil

Photo courtesy of Fernanda Ribas

Pacoca is ridiculously easy to make — it’s just peanut butter mixed with a bit of sweetener. Now if you’re a peanut butter addict (guilty), you would just eat this straight out of the bowl. But if you have the patience and self-control to use it in a more complex peanut butter dessert, the results are absolutely scrumptious. Peanut butter gelato and truffles? Count me in.

6. Mixed Rice

brazil

Photo courtesy of the Ribas Family

Brazilians love mixing rice with whatever veggies and proteins they have on hand — from the classic tomato and beans combo to sausage and green onion, mixed rice dishes continue to win the gold medal in terms of both flavor and versatility.

The rice in this picture was cooked with with creamy sweet potato, savory chicken, and a few aromatic spices to set it all off to perfection. Now that’s a dish that’ll satisfy your tastebuds and give you an energy boost for the rest of the day.

7. Bolo de Fuba

brazil

Photo courtesy of the Ribas Family

Light and sweet, this classic cornmeal cake can do everything from accompany your morning coffee to cap off a perfectly catered meal. Pair it with berries, pair it with cream — no matter what you decide on, this dessert will certainly do both you and Brazil proud.