Balancing a heavy workload and nights filled with margaritas can take a toll on your grades, social life, and even your immune system.

Cold season has already begun to inch its way into the scene. Fight off the scratchy throat, runny nose, and suffocating congestion in no time by adding these spices into your diet.

Cinnamon

cold

Photo by Emily Hu

This spice does more than add flavor intensity to your desserts and oatmeal breakfast creations. It has anti-inflammatory properties and is a warming spice, meaning that it increases blood flow to boost oxygen levels to fight a cold quicker.

Mix into cereal, yogurt, or try this cinnamon, ginger, and brown sugar baked grapefruit for an added Vitamin-C kick.

Ginger

cold

Photo by Kendra Valkema

Reduce headaches and ditch nausea with this anti-inflammatory antioxidant. Ginger also helps you sweat out the cold so be sure to swap out your normal Keystone for natural ginger beer when you feel a cold coming on.

When you really need an extra ginger boost, try this ginger curry egg drop soup.

Chili Flakes

cold

Photo courtesy of Quinn Dombrowski on flickr.com

Spicy foods are natural decongestants and will clear your nasal passages in no time. Skip these if your running nose is accompanied by a cough — spicy flakes will irritate your throat more.

Sprinkle chili flakes on egg and avocado toast to burn away the sickness.

Turmeric

cold

Photo courtesy of Steven Jackson on flickr.com

Turmeric should be renamed the Superman Spice due to its cold-busting properties: Antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, and anticancer. Typically used in Middle Eastern cuisine, this spice can change the cold-fighting game… It has historically been used in Eastern medicine.

Whip up this vegan carrot soup or add turmeric to sauces.

Garlic

cold

Photo by Kai Huang

Not only is garlic a culinary staple, but it contains anti-viral and antioxidant properties to reduce the duration of a cold. With a boosted immune system, you can still hit the library for midterms. Just don’t kiss anyone after eating this garlic bread.

Cumin

cold

Photo courtesy of Emily Barney on flickr.com

This underrated spice is a secret weapon during cold season. It contains Vitamin-C to boost your immune system and suppresses coughing by drying up mucus.

Try cumin rice and beans when you’re sick. Added bonus, comfort food always helps you feel better.