I'm from 'up north' but have lived in the south for nearly six years now. While most of my roots still extend deep into my homegrown Michigan soil, there are definitely a few southern quirks I'm eternally grateful for: boundless amounts of sunshine, warm winters that don't require me to scrape off my windshield and a whole different cuisine full of sauces, gravies and spice blends. 

Don't get me wrong, the north has damn good food. But no matter where you're from originally, here are 5 breakfast dishes we can all thank the south for: 

1. Biscuits & Gravy

beef, pork, vegetable, dairy product, sauce, meat
Morgan Burnett

Until I moved to Florida, the idea of biscuits and gravy made me wrinkle my nose. It reminded me of a sloppy mess you'd find at a gas station eatery when you're either too broke or too hungover to eat real breakfast food. Little did I know, though, people in the south are religious about their sausage gravy recipes. The flavor of the sausage, the texture of the gravy and the pillowy biscuits are what define true southern sausage and gravy recipes.  

2. Shrimp & Grits

Little did I know, though, people in the South are religious about their sausage gravy recipes. The flavor of the sausage, the texture of the gravy and the pillowy biscuits are what define true southern sausage and gravy recipes.  

meat, broth, bread, lobster bisque, cream, vegetable, parsley, soup
Morgan Burnett

While I still don't understand the south's fascination with grits, if there's one dish that is signature to southern cooking (besides barbeque, I suppose), it's shrimp & grits. Creamy, cheesy grits topped with spicy, fresh shrimp is a combo that's to die for. Many southern breakfast restaurants have their own take on the classic dish but regardless of how you combine cheese, cream and butter, you'll be begging for seconds before breakfast is even over. 

3. Fried Green Tomato Benedict

egg
Morgan Burnett

Many southern breakfast restaurants have their own take on the classic dish but regardless of how you combine cheese, cream, and butter, you'll be begging for seconds before breakfast is even over. 

Yes, fried green tomatoe (FGT) Benedicts are a real thing! Fried green tomatoes are a southern staple and many breakfast joints in the south slap 'em in breakfast bennies so you have an excuse to eat them at every meal. Usually, the tomatoes are soaked in buttermilk to soften before they're breaded and fried crispy to order.  And if your fave restaurant really knows their southern cooking, they serve their FGT drizzled with a spicy aioli and it's delicious AF.

4. Chicken and Waffles 

I often wonder why so many southern foods are combos, i.e.: foods separated with ampersands (biscuits & gravy, shrimp & grits...) but chicken & waffles is yet another bomb breakfast combo that the south nailed. Chicken & waffles is sweet and savory at its finest with just the right balance of carbs and protein, making it an ideal southern breakfast delight.  

Usually, the tomatoes are soaked in buttermilk to soften before they're breaded and fried crispy to order. And if your fave restaurant really knows their southern cooking, they serve their FGT drizzled with a spicy aioli and it's delicious AF.

5. Bananas Foster Pain Perdu

meat, banana
Morgan Burnett

New Orleans is a southern food Mecca. The French-Creole fusion of NOLA restaurants changed the way we eat breakfast and thanks to its culinary brilliance, we have bananas foster pain perdu (French toast, more or less). Traditional French toast is delicious but bananas foster French toast, like that found at the favorite St. Petersburg breakfast eatery Stella's, rocks your world and your sweet tooth at the same time.   

Don't skip the tastiest meal of the day!  

Chicken and waffles are sweet and savory at its finest with just the right balance of carbs and protein, making it an ideal southern breakfast delight.