Having an eating disorder can be terrifying. You know something is wrong yet you don’t know what to do. It’s not normal to be afraid of food, to throw up after meals, or obsessively need to go to the gym. If these thoughts and behaviors sound familiar, here are five resources that can help you.

1. The National Eating Disorders Association

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/sites/all/themes/neda/images/neda-logo-web.png

Photo Courtesy of NEDA

Take an online eating disorder screening, read the recovery stories of others, or call the help and information line. NEDA’s mission is to “support individuals and families affected by eating disorders, and serve as a catalyst for prevention, cures and access to quality care.”

2. The National Association for Males with Eating Disorders

eating disorders

Photo courtesy of Phil Gradwell on flickr.com

Eating disorders don’t just happen to women, despite the stereotype. 1 in 4 individuals diagnosed with an eating disorder is male. NAMED provides information and resources for men with eating disorders. They also have a blog contributed to by male who suffer or have suffered from an eating disorder.

3. Mirror Mirror

eating disorder

Photo Courtesy of Fashion Globe

Mirror Mirror provides information about eating disorders, self esteem, and self-injury. They answer a lot of questions about why and how these behaviors and thoughts occur, but also are there to help.

4. Families Empowered and Supporting Treatment of Eating Disorders

eating disorder

Photo courtesy of recruiterpoet.com

Do you know someone struggling from an eating disorder? Being a support is not easy. FEAST provides resources for families and other supports. In addition to information, FEAST provides an online forum for supports to ask questions and get support themselves.

5. Monte Nido Treatment Centers

http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnvar/20140918/147107

Photo Courtesy of Monte Nido

Choosing to go to treatment is a big decision. In many cases, it is the only chance for full recovery. Monte Nido is one of the leading treatment centers in America with programs on both coasts. This is where where I personally found recovery.

eating disorder

Photo courtesy of recoveryresources.com.au

Having an eating disorder is not shameful. It’s okay to ask for help. In the words of Demi Lovato, “Scars are like battle wounds – beautiful in a way. They show what you’ve been through and how strong you are for coming out of it.”