From Starbuck's Nariño 70 Cold Brew to Dunkin' Donut's Cold Brew, cold brewing coffee has been gaining popularity recently. Maybe it's because it's so easy to make—at home with a mason jar or with a French press. I used to use the French press to make my coffee, but I'd end up with inconsistent brews—some too acidic, some too weak. Then someone gave me the cold brew maker and I was introduced to this whole world of perfect coffee.

So what is cold brew? Basically, unlike extracting coffee using hot water, you simply brew by leaving coarsely ground coffee beans in room temperature or cold water overnight! It takes a little longer than standard methods of extraction, but it's basically coffee and all its glory with reduced side effects.

No Acid Reflux/Less Acid In Coffee

With traditional brew methods, the hot water forces chemical reactions that change the coffee beans and again when it cools. This is why you sometimes get that bitter, burnt taste. Cold brew is 60% less acidic than hot brewed coffee, reducing the risk of heartburn, teeth and stomach damage, while keeping your body pH balanced.

Better Taste

Because of the way it's brewed, cold brew is smooth, flavorful, and sweet—the lack of heat helps extract the original flavor of the beans. Thus, most people use less sweeter or creamer, helping you cut back on sugar and calories. You could also brew stronger cold brew then dilute it with either hot or cold water. You basically get the best of the coffee world with cold brew.

Increased Antioxidants (Chlorogenic Acid)

With other methods of brewing, high temperature destroys antioxidants. Chlorogenic acid, which is basically the reason why most people drink coffee for health benefits, is highly sensitive to heat. With cold brew, higher ratio of antioxidants like these are preserved, and is healthier for you.

Lower Caffeine

Cold brew contains about 40 milligrams of caffeine per 100 grams- around 20% less than other brewing methods. Because there's less caffeine per drink, for those who drink coffee mindlessly (or for pleasure) will be able to drink more of it! You don't have to worry about taking in too much caffeine. No more risk of anxiety, depression, sleep problems, or more.

Freshness

Unlike hot brewed coffee, cold brew coffee can stay fresh for up to two weeks in an airtight container if refrigerated. You don't have to worry about reheating your coffee and tasting that bitter aftertaste. With cold brew, you'll get that consistent fresh taste, every time.

If you enjoy coffee (or live off it), make sure to try cold brew! You'll be pleasantly surprised.