Late night food in a college town is a tradition as old universities themselves. With seemingly every desirable eating option open until past midnight and OrderUp taunting us with options, there’s no shortage of ways to end your late-night craving. However, for many students, that craving turns into next-day regret, with their wallet being hit the hardest.

College students are notoriously broke and with what limited funds we have to spend on ourselves, there are places all over State College that prey on your Natty-infused hunger that will seemingly never leave you. For some, the money is inconsequential, but for those of us not with a trust-fund it can be the difference between having enough money to even go out the next night. With that in mind, here are some of the best late night value places at Penn State.

• McDonald’s

late night

Photo by Carly Gulasarian

I know it seems too easy but it’s hard to beat a place that has an entire menu revolved around a single dollar. You can walk in with five dollars and leave with two double cheeseburgers and large fries, curing the gaping hole that Vlad left in your stomach. On the downside, few places are in more of a mess at 1 a.m. then McD’s. The floors are trashed, the booths are dirty and the environment can be pretty hostile; don’t consider this your actual first option.

• Taco Bell

late night

Photo by Carly Gulasarian

I’ve never had Taco Bell because I don’t want to find out what dog meat tastes like… but this place is quite arguably the Taj Mahal of satisfying your late-night hunger. If you’re fine losing (possibly more of) your dignity, you can get three double decker supremes and a crunchy taco supreme for under ten dollars. I cannot vouch for how supreme they actually are but if in our current society Taco Bell is willing to consider them supreme then they should hit the spot.

• D.P. Dough

late night

Photo by Carly Gulasarian

Located right in the heart of the downtown area, this establishment boasts every calzone you could possibly think of, all of which are conquerors of the cheap alcohol that flows through these streets. One calzone costs right around $7, which may be a bit pricey and if you’re willing to deal with the inevitable long lines and confusion amongst the staff and people who forgot why they’re even there it’s well worth it.

• Wings Over

late night

Photo by Bari Blanga

This is a tricky one because it is more than $10 and probably closer to $15, but out of all the things to get in State College when you’re past the point of rallying, this is it. Wings Over has dozens of flavors for to choose from and make the aforementioned Taco Bell look like a restaurant run by a three year old child. You will more likely squirm when looking at the receipt but you will soon be squirming out of pure joy and satisfaction. Deciding to get Wings Over is deciding to spoil yourself.

• Canyon Pizza

late night

Photo by Carly Gulasarian

To the rest of decent society, $1 slices of pizza exist as some sort of urban legend. A fiction that, like Santa Claus, dies with maturity and a realization of how life works and the disappointing nature of the world. In indecent society, such as the one that I and 40,000 others are proud members of, it’s a reality and is only around the corner. It is a staple of Penn State and will always have long lines Thursday through Saturday at any time in the early morning hours. Despite being a staple of this town, it isn’t the best pizza and it takes a true warrior to eat it while in a clear state of mind. If you only have $3, this is the place to be and also the place to convince yourself you’re getting a good Italian meal.