Philadelphia is one of the most historic cities in America. It is known as the home of the Liberty Bell and the site of the Declaration of Independence signing. However, Philly is also home to some foods that can not be made better any better than in the City of Brotherly Love.

1. Cheesesteaks

Philly

Photo courtesy of Lucia Casaleno Philly Cheesesteak

Although the exact details about who made the first cheesesteak are debatable, one fact never is; they are the best. When it comes to food, nothing gets more Philly than a cheese steak. There’s nothing quite like taking a bite out of a “steak” that is smothered with melted cheese or cheese wiz and topped with sautéed peppers and onions inside of a fresh roll. Most people agree that the cheesesteak was created during the 1930’s in the Italian section of Philadelphia (shoutout to my people). It is safe to say that it was a crowd-pleaser from the start.

2. Water Ice

Philly

Photo courtesy of pinterest.com

One of my fondest childhood memories occurred when I almost passed out from a heat stroke at a Phillies baseball game in July. The thing I remember most, besides beating the Chicago Cubs, was having my first Philadelphia Water Ice. The refreshing and authentic taste of any water ice from Philly, including Rita’s which also started in Bensalem, PA, is sure to make a memory. Whether you’re at the beach, a baseball game, or dying of heat stroke, water ice is sure to please.

3. Pretzels

Philly

Photo courtesy of wordpress.com

I am not talking about your run of the mill bagged pretzels that you get in aisle 7 of your supermarket; I am talking about a genuine, soft, salty, and warm Philly pretzel. Compliments of the Philly Pretzel Factory or the all mighty Wawa.

With just a simple side of mustard, a Philly pretzel makes the perfect snack. Thanks to the Pennsylvania Dutch, the soft pretzel made its entrance into the limelight in 1861. And lucky for us, nowadays most of the iconic twists are made right in Center City; so there is no need for us crazy college kids to venture into Dutch country for a good late night snack or on the go nibble.

4. Tastykake

Philly

Photo courtesy of pinterest.com

Simply put, you have not lived until you have had any of Tastykake’s amazing creations. Philadelphians are crazy about Tastkakes. They have as much pride in these treats as I once did in my Easy-Bake Oven creations. Tastykakes are far superior to any Easy-Bake dessert.

From the peanut butter Kandy Kakes to the classic Krimpet, you just can’t go wrong with any Tastykake product. Since 1914, we have been thanking Philip Baur and Herbert Morris for blessing our taste buds with the individually packaged pieces of heaven straight out of the Germantown section of Philadelphia.

5. Peanut Chews

Philly

Photo courtesy of machineryphilly.com

Last but certainly not least is the famous candy bar by the name of Peanut Chews. Originally created as a ration bar in 1917 during World War I by the Goldenberg family, this candy bar instantly won the hearts of troops and common Americans alike because of its chewy, chocolatey, sweet, and crunchy texture. The Goldenberg’s succeeded once again in inventing a favorite Philadelphia snack!

If you have not had the chance to visit Philly and see and taste all the wonderful things it has to offer, I HIGHLY recommend getting your jawn here. Be it by bus, plane, car, boat or horse and carriage – if you’re feeling colonial, it is a historic city after all.