The Tucson summers can be brutal, but by staying hydrated and eating the right foods, your body can adapt to the dry heat. That brings me to my first point, drinking water is one of the best things that you can do for your body. Each person should be drinking, at least, eight ounces of water a day. Drinking water has many benefits. Water helps you stay full and refrain from eating unnecessary foods. In addition, water helps energize your muscles and keeps your skin looking clear. Besides drinking water, certain foods can help aid in hydrating your body in the heat.

1. Celery

water

Photo by Ataya Kanji

Celery is one of my favorite vegetables. It is a great and easy snack to munch on at any time. In addition, celery is rich in vitamins and potassium. Celery has 95 percent water content so it sure is a great snack to enjoy this summer! Try dipping it in Greek yogurt or spreading peanut butter on it for some delicious added protein.

2. Watermelon

water

Photo by Justin Schuble

Another great treat to help you beat the heat is watermelon. Hence, the name, watermelon is very hydrating because it is 95 percent water. Watermelon is low in calories, and high in vitamins and minerals. Another way to become more hydrated is by making watermelon infused water. I promise it is as simple as it sounds. Just chop watermelon into small cubes and add them into a glass of water.

3. Cucumbers

water

Photo by Haliana Burhans

Everyone loves cucumbers! Cucumbers have many health benefits including, flushing out toxins, aiding in weight loss, and stabilizing blood pressure. Cucumbers taste super delicious in salads, on sandwiches or even plain!

4. Strawberries

water

Photo by Liana Lis

Strawberries taste so yummy and fresh. Strawberries are also low in fats and cholesterol. Strawberries are a great addition to yogurt, oatmeal, salad and desserts. My favorite way to eat strawberries is slicing them up and putting them in Greek yogurt with honey. This snack will keep you full and satisfied.

5. Yogurt

water

Photo by Kathleen Lee

Surprisingly, yogurt can be very hydrating! Since yogurt is full of potassium and sodium, it helps replenish the lost electrolytes from dehydration. Yogurt can be eaten in a multitude of ways, including, with mix-in cereal, with fruit, frozen or plain. Just be careful to find a yogurt low in sugar, I recommend greek yogurt.

Overall, these foods have various nutritional benefits, and will help hydrate your body. This summer, head to your local grocery store to pick up some of these hydrating snacks!