The smell of popcorn coming from the microwave is intoxicating. The problem is that it can be greasy, fatty, and ultimately without much flavor. With that said, the next time you decide to make a snack for that Lord of the Rings marathon, try some of these quick recipes.

Choco-Cinnamon Popcorn

popcorn

Photo by Anna Beckerman.

This popcorn is a little bitter, a little sweet, but totally tasty.  To make this popcorn a little sweeter you can add chocolate chips or more refined sugars. If you like sweet, add some sea salt on top to accentuate the flavor.  Other delicious fixings include dried fruit, pretzel pieces, or shredded coconut.

popcorn

Photo by Anna Beckerman.

Easy

Prep Time: 3 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total time: 8 minutes

Servings: 2

1/4 cup popcorn kernels
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon cocoa powder

1. Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and cocoa in a small bowl or cup and put aside.
2. Pour the oil and kernels into a large pot, cover, then put the burner up to medium heat.
3. After a few minutes, the first kernel should pop. Then constantly shake and move the pot over the heat as to avoid burning.

popcorn

Photo by Anna Beckerman.

4. Once there are large gaps between the sound of popped kernels turn the heat off and remove the lid.
5. While the popcorn is still hot, pour the mixture from step 1 and mix with a spoon until all kernels are thoroughly coated.
6. Move to a bowl and enjoy!

Cheesy Garlic Popcorn

Cheesy popcorn doesn’t just have to come in a bag from your local deli, it can also come right from your own kitchen. Just make sure whoever you’re sharing this with doesn’t mind a little garlic breath. This popcorn includes Herbs de Province, a savory French mixture of dried herbs which can include fennel, basil, and thyme. Feel free to use whatever herbs you have lying around, such as oregano, thyme, rosemary, or none at all if you don’t like their flavors.

popcorn

Photo by Anna Beckerman.

Easy

Prep Time: 3 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total time: 8 minutes

Servings: 2

1/4 cup popcorn kernels
2 tablespoons oil
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon herbs de Province and/or basil
Salt and pepper, to taste

1. Combine the cheese, garlic powder and herbs in a small bowl or cup and put aside.
2. Pour the oil and kernels into a large pot, sprinkle with salt and pepper, cover, and then put the burner up to medium.
3. After a few minutes the first kernel should pop. Then constantly shake and move the pot over the heat so as to avoid burning.
5. While the popcorn is still hot pour in the mixture from step 1 and mix with a spoon until all kernels are thoroughly coated.
6. Move to a bowl and enjoy!

Chickpea Poppers

Sometimes your munchie doesn’t even have to include popcorn! These super crunchy and slightly spiced chickpeas will really wake up your tastebuds to a whole new dimension of snackage.

popcorn

Photo by Anna Beckerman.

Easy

Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total time: 43 minutes

Servings: 2

1 15 1/2-oz can of chickpeas, drained
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon coriander
Zest of 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon herbs de Province (or substitutes discussed above)
Salt and pepper, to taste

1. Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
2. In a medium sized bowl toss together 1 15.5-oz can of drained chickpeas, oil, cumin, coriander, lemon zest, garlic powder, paprika, herbs de Province, salt, and pepper until thoroughly coated. (None of the spices listed are absolutely necessary. They can be discarded or substituted for preferred alternatives!)

popcorn

Photo by Anna Beckerman.

3. Pour out the contents of the bowl onto a baking sheet.
4. Bake in the oven for about 35-40 minutes, or until golden-brown and crunchy. Move the chickpeas around the pan periodically, every 15 minutes or so.
5. Move to a bowl and enjoy your alternative popcorn!

popcorn

Photo by Anna Beckerman.