Food photography isn’t as easy as it looks. Sometimes there isn’t good lighting, the food doesn’t look appealing (but still tastes good), or you just feel rushed by the people around you. I’ve found that since creating a food Instagram, there are more factors that come into play when taking photos – like lighting, surroundings and posting time. Here is a list of realities I think all my fellow foodies can understand.

1. Your food is usually an unappealing temperature by the time you eat it

photos

Photo by Hannah Cooper

It all depends on if you’re at home (where you can reheat your food to the perfect temperature) or if you’re at a restaurant, where the photo has to be taken within the first minute or your food becomes slightly less appetizing.

2. Breakfast is your favorite meal, because lighting

photos

Photo courtesy of @spoonuniversity on Instagram

There’s no better feeling than taking a perfect picture of a stack of pancakes with just the right amount of light coming in through the window.

3. And let’s not forget brunch

photos

Photo courtesy of @troudibilel on Instagram

If the sun is shining and your table is full of photogenic dishes then you know you have a photo-worthy meal.

4. Your friends have gotten used to you always having your phone or camera at the table

photos

Photo by Rachel Lee

There’s a high chance you’re either editing a photo, posting a photo of your meal, or taking a picture of your food – you aren’t being antisocial.

5. They also know they can’t touch their food until you have the perfect picture

photos

Photo by Hannah Cooper

Even if you’re starving, you’re always, always, always going to have to wait until the photos ares taken.

6. And sometimes you feel rushed and give up on taking a good picture

photos

Photo by Hannah Cooper

Because sometimes the hungry feeling gets the best of all of us and some things (and photos) are worth sacrificing.

7. Dinner isn’t photogenic unless it’s still light outside

photos

Photo courtesy of @rikako108 on Instagram

Your food hates the hard flash just as much as you do.

8. No, I don’t mind that my ice cream melted onto my hand

photos

Photo by Hannah Cooper

Sometimes it’s a messy imperfection that makes a photo perfect.

9. Instagram is the menu

photos

Photo by Hannah Cooper

99 percent of the time I try a new restaurant, it’s because I’ve seen something on Instagram that looks drool worthy and in need of eating.

10. You have more pictures of food than friends on your phone

photos

Photo by Hannah Cooper

We’ve all had that moment when we want to post a #throwback photo but the only pictures we can find reminds us of the meal we ate last week.

11. Your Instagram feed is full of photogenic food

photos

Photo by Hannah Cooper

There’s no wonder why you’re instantly hungry when you get on Instagram, you follow the best foodies.

12. Your mornings consist of watching Food Network and Tastemade on Snapchat (let’s not forget Spoon Saturdays)

No matter how rough a morning may seem, Tastemade and Food Network Snapchat stories are always there to put you back in your foodie mood.

13. Sometimes you enlist your friends to be temporary hand models

photos

Photo by Hannah Cooper

There are moments when you want your hand in a photo and other times where, let’s face it, you need two hands on the camera.

14. You spend triple the amount of time designing your dish

photos

Photo by Hannah Cooper

Have you realized how OCD you’ve become since taking photos of your food?

15. …and then scarf it down because you got too hungry

photos

Photo by Hannah Cooper

Spoon tip: if you’re hungry and thinking about taking a photo of your meal, nibble on something so you aren’t hangry when taking photos.

16. If the dish doesn’t look decent you won’t take a picture of it

photos

Photo by Hannah Cooper

Unfortunately, no matter how delicious that plate of chili cheese fries is, it will be hard to get an appetizing photo.

17. Your nails are either painted or not featured

photos

Photo by Hannah Cooper

Because chipped nails aren’t pretty.

18. Your friends are probably annoyed with the number of food photos you post

photos

Photo by Hannah Cooper

We’ve all realized it at some point or another…while your friends are having photo shoots with each other, you’re having a shoot with freshly baked bread.

19. You know there is no rule about the number of food Instagrams you can post

photos

Photo by Hannah Cooper

The “one post per day” unspoken Instagram rule doesn’t apply when you’re posting pictures of food.

20. No, I probably can’t fit that overloaded bagel in my mouth

photos

Go big or go home. Whether that means making a rainbow bagel or stuffing it to the brim with cream cheese, it’s up to you.

21. When traveling to a new city, you turn to Instagram to scout out the coolest locations

photos

Photo by Hannah Cooper

Instagram is the most reliable resource when you’re looking for food in a new place.

22. You will do anything for a good pic even if it means looking like a cheese ball

photos

Photo by Mary Mattingly

I will try and hold back standing on my chair to take a picture, but sometimes it is necessary to get that angle.

23. Which will make your friends feel embarrassed for you

photos

Photo by Rachel Lee

People might be staring your way, but trust me they really don’t care as much as you think they do.

24. You’ll probably be featured on their Snapchat as you try to take the perfect shot

photos

Photo courtesy of Helen Modesett

After a certain point, you don’t even care that you look like a goober on your friend Snapchat story. They’re probably in the back of your food snap too.

25. At the end of the day, your friends can’t be mad because they’re always dining at the coolest places

photos

Photo by Hannah Cooper

Although your friends might be annoyed with your crazy habits every once in a while, they can’t be upset with the fact that they’re always eating at the coolest places in town.