The Original Waffle Shop only exists in two locations in the world and they are both right here in Happy Valley. You very well know this, as it is your weekend haven. You have to feed your addiction. Here are the clear signs:
1. It’s the first and only thing you crave when you wake up after a late night out (PARTAY!).
2. You may even have thought out your plan the night before because you take this s*** seriously.
3. You have a hate-love relationship with the Shop’s closing at 3 pm.
4. …But you will still drag yourself out of bed to just get a piece of that.
5. When you do get there, you wish you woke up earlier to miss the line and stand in the cold, but WAFFLE SHOP.
6. Taking a bus or jumping in the car to get there is worth it.
7. And if your friends are not there on time, well that’s too bad for them, ‘cause nothing will stop you (unless your friend is the driver).
8. You don’t eat anything before in case you spoil your appetite, meaning you would rather go there starving than be half-full already.
9. It’s your one, no-fail hangover remedy.
10. Eating here on a weekend morning or afternoon is not breakfast, brunch or lunch. It transcends pre-established mealtimes.
11. You consider all other coffee places a rip-off (cough Starbucks cough) cause in this shop, coffee refills are FREE.
12. Choosing between waffles or pancakes is a serious life decision.
13. But having cream on that is NOT.
14. Ordering an omelette with a side of pancakes, home fries, bacon and scrambled eggs is the baseline.
15. You feel the power in choosing from maple to blueberry to strawberry syrup.
16. You give the stink eye to anyone who doesn’t order something made in a pan (umm, you’re getting a salad?).
17. You love the servers who are so friendly and ask so kindly if you want anything else.
18. I mean, they greet you with coffee-in-hand!
19. You take your parents here on Parents’ Weekend (or whenever they visit) because it’s a Penn State tradition requirement. And you neither have to drive nor pay for it.
20. You consider the “other Waffle Shop” downtown to be a fake (and here’s why).
21. You may be looked upon as an addict, as you know you are, but going to the Original Waffle Shop is your weekend tradition. So order your five plates and get to eating!
Think you have more addictions? You can start checking here: