Alton Brown is one of the most intimidating characters on the Food Network—only it’s not a character choice. If you follow him on social media (or seen his live tour), you’ll find he actually is a funny, impressive, knowledgable, and yes—intimidating—person. He constantly preaches using brains and food knowledge when cooking to produce the highest quality dishes. Some of his more famous quotes can be applied to any part of life, which makes him so inspirational.
1. “Although I don’t take myself very seriously, I do take my work extraordinarily seriously.”
Alton Brown has worked furiously to get where he is today—and he doesn’t quit. His lifestyle is all fun and games, but his work isn’t, and that’s how he got to where he is today.
2. “I want fans to like the shows, but I’m not going to make it for them. I’m going to make it for me.”
It sounds selfish at first, but he does his work to make himself happy. It just so happens that others also enjoy it.
3. “Through my efforts to attract the opposite sex, I found that not only did cooking work, but that it was actually fun.”
Boys, listen to Alton.
4. “I love poking fun at myself. I have a rather mean sense of humor.”
We knew that, Alton.
5. “Laughing brains are more absorbent.”
Alton Brown: Combining humor and education since 1999.
6. “Do not allow watching food to replace making food.”
The Food Network is there to inspire you to cook, not keep you from cooking.
7. “Listen to your appetite, and play with your food.”
The man’s a genius, I tell you.
8. “Cooking is an observation-based process that you can’t do if you’re so completely focused on a recipe.”
Clearly, cooking involves a lot of (mostly forearm) work.
9. “The more you try to impress people, generally the less you do.”
Is Alton ever impressed? I’m not so sure.
10. “All the gravy is better than some gravy.”
11. “Anything that contains raisins can be replaced with M&M’s.”
12. “Stupid hurts.”
Even more truth.
13. “Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it.”
Once again, Alton pushes education and knowledge when cooking. It’s not always about the lovin’ you put in your food, as Paula Deen would say.
14. “My advice: Write down everything you eat. It’s amazing what ‘self honesty’ can do for you.”
As I assume from his Instagram pictures, Alton is not the healthiest person. But, he suggests to be more aware of what you eat if you want to make a change.
15. “The most underused tool in the kitchen is the brain.”
And it was quite underused in this episode of Cutthroat Kitchen.
16. “My goal is simple: get every American within the sound of my web voice to cook three meals a week. Is that too much to ask?”
Apparently, Alton. Apparently.
17. “Your patience will be rewarded.”
Does Alton ever give reward for anything…?
18. “The kitchen’s a laboratory, and everything that happens there has to do with science.”
This quote can be reinforced with Alton Brown’s live tour, Eat Your Science.
19. “We’re all so busy taking Facebook pictures of our food, we never take pictures of the people sitting across from us… We’ve shifted away from the things that actually matter in human interaction.”
20. “These things are not meat shredders, they are a lifestyle.”
He doesn’t believe in kitchen gadgets, or “unitaskers,” as he describes them.
21. “It’s not about finding the biggest or the strongest or the most elaborate or expensive, just the best.”
Naturally, he was referring to espresso when he said this.