Brunch is undeniably the best meal of the day. Thankfully, the rest of the country thinks so, too. With a little help from college students (all of the Honorable Mentions are recommendations from a nearby university) and the wonderful video reviewers over at Tastemade, this is a definitive list of the best brunch spots in 19 cities across the United States.

1. Atlanta, GA: Buttermilk Kitchen

Buttermilk Kitchen This place takes its grub seriously, with almost everything made in-house and from scratch.  What to order: The chicken biscuit.  Second pick: Buttermilk pancakes.

2. Austin, TX: Texas French Bread

Texas French Bread

When you’re feeling like a true taste of Austin, this is the place to go in the morning.

What to order: Salmon eggs Benedict on house-made ciabatta.
Second pick: Shrimp & grits.

3. San Francisco, CA: Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Feel like a part some intimate, brunch-loving family at this quaint space that dishes out amazing soul food that highlights local ingredients.  What to order: Fried chicken ‘n’ waffles. Second pick: Everyone needs to order chicken and waffles.

4. Providence, RI: Eli’s Kitchen

Eli’s Kitchen

A great option for the gluten-free crowd, this place is serving up delicious, Southern-inflected fare with plenty of GF options. Honorable mention: Louis Family Restaurant.

What to order: Brioche French Toast with sea salt butter.
Second pick: E.K. Egg Sandwich, with avocado, tomato, greens, Vermont cheddar and aioli on grilled sourdough.

5. Washington, D.C.: Roofers Union

Roofers Union Located in one of the grooviest (as Grandma would say) parts of D.C., Adams Morgan, this spot is part bar, part restaurant so expect some excellent brunch cocktails. Honorable Mention: Farmers Fishers BakersWhat to order: The Hot Mess, with peppers and onions, sausage gravy, fried chicken and an egg.  Second Pick: Doughnut Holes with chocolate sauce and jam.

6. Boston, MA: Flour Bakery + Café

Flour Bakery + Cafe

It’s pretty difficult to choose from the amazing array of baked goods offered here, but you really can’t go wrong with the sticky buns. Honorable Mention: The Friendly Toast.

What to order: Sticky Sticky Bun.
Second Pick: One of every kind of baked good available (really, this should be your game plan).

7. Dallas, TX: Lockhart Smokehouse

Lockhart Smokehouse Be warned: this spot doesn’t open until 11 am, but if you’re willing to wait it out for your brunch (or more likely be grateful to sleep off the hangover a bit longer), get ready for the best BBQ reward of your life. What to order: Brisket and Jalapeño sausage.  Second pick: Bacon pecan pie.

8. Chicago, IL: Batter and Berries

Batter and Berries

This is the place to get your French Toast fix, along with other sweet breakfast dishes done up with a twist. Honorable Mention: Bat 17.

What to order: French Toast flight.
Second pick: Cluck-n-Gaufre, a chicken-stuffed sweet potato waffle topped with a piece of fried chicken, nutmeg hot sauce and house-special maple butter.

9. Denver, CO: Denver Biscuit Company

Denver Biscuit Company This place that does everything biscuit-related and wonderful was even featured on Food Network’s Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives so you know it’s legit. What to order: The Franklin, with buttermilk fried chicken, bacon, cheddar cheese and gravy.  Second pick:  Biscuit cinnamon roll of the day.

10. New York City, NY: Shopsin’s

Shopsin’s

With a menu offering 200+ items all squeezed onto a single, colorful, overwhelmingly crowded sheet of paper, it’s sometimes hard to choose or even find the brunch items. Luckily, you literally can’t go wrong with anything offered, brunch-related or otherwise. Honorable Mention: Grey Dog.

What to order: Mac & Cheese pancake (that’s right; it’s a macaroni and cheese pancake).
Second pick: Cheeseburger sliders on mini glazed donuts.

11. Nashville, TN: Crema

Crema It’s all about the coffee at this joint, which will give you just the jolt you need on a lazy weekend while providing equally delicious light fare like avocado toasts and fresh-baked goodies. What to order: Cuban Latté.  Second Pick: Any of the quiches.

12. Houston, TX: Pondicheri

Pondicheri

Get ready to be convinced (if you weren’t already) that Indian food makes for the best brunch food.

What to order: Morning Thali, a variety plate.
Second pick: Green Dosa.

13. Los Angeles, CA: Alta California Fonda

Alta California Fonda This cheap-eats destination has all the brunch foods you could want with the added bonus of the best tacos around. What to order: Citizen’s Plate, with eggs, hash browns, bacon and fruit.  Second pick: Taco Combo.

14. Miami, FL: Yardbird Southern Table and Bar

Yardbird Southern Table and Bar

With so may brunch options both on Miami University’s campus and beyond, it’s not always easy to decide where to eat. Luckily, if it’s down-home, authentic Southern food you’re craving, the choice is clear. Honorable Mention: Bagel & Deli.

What to order: Chicken N’ Watermelon N’ Waffles.
Second Pick: Maple-Glazed Bacon Doughnut,

15. New Orleans, LA: Booty’s Street Food

Booty’s Street Food The eclectic, ever-changing menu features street eats from around the world that will satisfy whatever craving you’re having or didn’t even know you had. For your after-brunch eats, we’ve got some NOLA suggestions for you. What to order: Menu’s always changing, but keep a lookout for the Hornado St. Clair, which is a bowlful of pork, mashed potatoes, lettuce, tomato and onion.  Second pick: Papusa Benedict, a cheese-stuffed corn cake with pickled cabbage, a poached egg and brown butter-lime chipotle hollandaise.

16. Philadelphia, PA: Federal Donuts

Federal Donuts

This place is offering two of Earth’s best foods: fried chicken and donuts. And they’re making some of the best of both.

Donut pick: Any variety of fancy donut.
Fried chicken pick: Za’atar-seasoned fried chicken.

17. Portland, OR: Harlow

Harlow Of course brunch in Portland means the best local ingredients and healthful options. Let’s go one step further with this all-organic, vegan-centric restaurant that’s guaranteeing all this while taking food and drink to a new level of tasty. What to order: Betty Bowl, with too many wholesome ingredients to list.  Second pick: Hawthorne Mac, which is both gluten-free and vegan.

18. Seattle, WA: Lola’s

Lola

With a combination of both Greek and American brunch dishes, this place is a must-try for the adventurous and traditionalists alike. And when you see “made to order doughnuts” on the menu, well, who can resist that? Honorable Mention: Kayak’s Coffee.

What to order: Made to order doughnuts with jam and vanilla mascarpone.
Second pick: Eggs Benedict.

19. San Diego, CA: Cafe Chloe

Cafe Chloe

If you’re a true West Coast foodie, you need to hit up this French café, which prides itself on being San Diego’s very first European cafe.

What to order: Poached eggs with mushrooms and sage-truffle beurre blanc.
Second pick: Croque Madame.

Like this? We figured. Why don’t you pin it?

m-NS12UBdyGgY3WIL5kHLHxNKnyxDBz9ororkEIxqkQ

Bring brunch right into your home with these easy recipes: