I could eat pasta every day, easily. I don’t though, because that’s a lot of carbohydrates. Granted, I also tend to eat more than the recommended serving size. If you’ve never measured out the recommended serving size for pasta and you want to feel sad today, go do it. It’s a brutal way to get in touch with reality.

In order to not eat pasta everyday for lunch and dinner, there’s always the option of eating vegetables that look and mostly taste like pasta—like black beans or zucchini shaved into spaghetti strands, thanks to the innovation world of substitute recipes. Here are 14 of my favorite carb-less pasta-like dishes.

carbs

1. Zucchini Lasagna

carbs

Photo courtesy of furtherfood.com

I’m down with raw zucchini but some people might feel like they’re eating vegetables when they want pasta. If you cook them, the sauce really helps flavor the zucchini and you’ll forget you ever even wanted pasta.

2. Chicken Parmesan Spaghetti Squash

carbs

Photo by Nicole Witte

If you haven’t had spaghetti squash, you haven’t lived. Spaghetti squash is low-cal and it really absorbs the rest of the flavors in the meal. It’s actually pretty great on it’s own too.

3. Seaweed Wrap

carbs

Photo by Laura Silver

Depending on your tortilla size, you can add a lot of unwanted calories and carbs to your meal. Nori, the toasted seaweed used in sushi rolls, is only 5 calories per sheet. Now you can spend those extra calories on something much more nutrient dense, like extra avocado spread.

4. Shirataki Noodles

carbs

Photo courtesy of flickr

Similar to tofu, shirataki noodles take on the flavors of the other ingredients, sauces especially. The possibilities are endless.

5. Vegetable Zoodles

carbs

Photo by Jackie Behar

We’ve all heard about zoodles. You take a zucchini and you use a spiralizer and boom, you have zucchini noodles. You can also use carrots or yellow squash. In my humble opinion, all you really need is your veggie of choice and a good spaghetti sauce.

6. Zucchini Nachos

carbs

Photo by Dara Ades

Sometimes all you want is something to crunch on. I get that. Why not try and munch on something healthier than fried potatoes?

7. Chickpea Pasta

carbs

Photo by Morgan Goldberg

I used to think my favorite chickpea creation was hummus. Now, I’m not so sure.

8. Black Bean Pasta

carbs

Photo courtesy of veethakur via flickr

#SpoonTip: Do not overcook this pasta because it will become mushy.

#SpoonTip2: When cooked perfectly, you have no idea you’re eating beans.

9. Brown Rice Pasta

carbs

Photo by Kelly Logan

Yet another pasta alternative that tastes just like the real thing. I usually throw oil, garlic, tomatoes and mozzarella in with this pasta and you actually can’t tell the difference.

10. Brown Rice and Quinoa Pasta

carbs

Photo courtesy of Rod Rotondi via flickr

Shouts to Trader Joe’s for introducing this into my life. It’s a little more chewy than regular pasta, but when you cook it al dente that doesn’t matter.

11. Zucchini Pizza Crust

carbs

Photo courtesy of furtherfood.com

This is the definition of guilt-free pizza. You’re basically eating vegetables with cheese and more vegetables, so there’s really nothing to feel guilty about.

12. Cauliflower Pizza Crust

carbs

Photo by Laura Silver

Carb-free pizza take 2.

13. Cauliflower Fried Rice

carbs

Photo by Laura Bailey

Follow this recipe for a great fried-rice base, and then do whatever you need to make it your own. You can also experiment with the grating size when you grate your cauliflower. Take place in the little things: I find it super satisfying to watch my mountain of “rice” build up as I grate.

14. Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese

carbs

Photo by Parisa Soraya

Potential cheese overload but I couldn’t just exclude it. Inclusivity is important in maintaining friendships.