What sisterhood event, social function, or chapter meeting is complete without some treats? Finding a group of girls that you truly connect with while studying, hanging out, and doing community service is great. But many of these bonds are built through our common love of food. You know who isn’t mean? Your sisters. You know who can show you what you look like around food? Mean Girls.
Here is a list of 13 food realities only real sisterhood can teach you.
1. When you know that almost every event has food.
Activities are fun, meetings are less fun, but you know what always livens up a room? Food.
2. When your favorite chips are being opened.
Better clear the way because you are making a beeline straight for them.
3. When you find out the cookies were leftover from last week’s mixer.
This is a standards issue.
4. When a sister shows up with something actually made from scratch.
Is that a homemade cupcake I see?
5. When you always start to eat from the hummus and veggie platter first…
Carrots do taste good, just not as good as cookies.
6. …And then go back for three rounds of dessert.
You can always start eating healthy tomorrow.
7. When you embrace the fact you ate more than one person’s share of food.
The first step is admitting it, the second might be going back for seconds.
8. When you hate that sister who is (successfully) on a diet around the sweets.
Why does she have to rub it in? I can be skinny too, but I choose not to be, because there are so many desserts to eat.
9. When you see snacks but are told they are for potential new members only.
Trying not to look too sad and hungry around these girls is a challenge indeed.
10. When there are surprise snacks at chapter.
11. When Valentine’s Day doesn’t go as planned.
At least wait until the 15th and get double the chocolate for half the price. Or make one of these recipes.
12. When you only make an effort to show up when there is food.
You probably aren’t the only one.
13. When you have no regrets about cleaning out the sorority house fridge on Saturday night.
You paid your dues for a reason, right?
Luckily there is more to Greek life than Greek salad. Friendships, memories, and cupcakes are plentiful, too. Just remember, you will always have friends to send you candy canes so you’ll end up like Glen Coco, not Gretchen Weiners.