By itself, a can of tuna is often a little underwhelming. A few chunks of watery fish flaking on a plate doesn’t seem very appetizing.

Chin up. You don’t have to bear the burden of dry tuna any longer. For the sake of your canned tuna experience, try out these simple additions:

1. Just add mayo

tuna

Photo by Nicole Feretich

I know what you’re thinking. Tuna. Mayo. Gross. But when both components are mixed together, a classic tuna salad is born.

2. Avocado heaven

tuna

Photo by Molly Krohe

Avocado and tuna create the perfect ratio of fishiness to creaminess. To fill a sandwich with healthy fats, feel free to put this spread on bread.

3. You can never go wrong with salad

tuna

Photo by Szeréna Szabó

Throw your favourite vegetables into a bowl, mix, and eat for a fulfilling meal. Tuna is the perfect addition to any salad.

4. Bruschetta with tuna

tuna

Photo by Yair Sakols

Bruschetta just made your sad can of tuna a whole lot better. Tomatoes and tuna all day, every day.

5. Cheesy tuna melts

tuna

Photo courtesy of Flickr

Crispy bread and melted cheese are already a great combo, so don’t hesitate to add tuna. You’ll want more of these sandwiches than you can make.

6. Mac and cheese could use a friend

tuna

Photo courtesy of Flickr

Keep your dish flavourful by adding some tuna to this childhood favourite. After all, mac and cheese tastes great with anything.

7. The perfect ingredient for pasta

tuna

Photo by Szeréna Szabó

We’re students, right? We need to study. So add in the tuna as soon as your pasta’s done cooking and get back to those books.

8. Build your own tuna burger

tuna

Photo courtesy of Flickr

A tuna burger offers endless combinations of vegetables, cheeses and condiments. Add your favourite toppings before nourishing yourself.

9. Loaded nachos

tuna

Photo courtesy of Flickr

Instead of spending time grilling meat for your nachos, toss tuna on top of the chips for quick protein.

10. Niçoise salad is more than just a salad

tuna

Photo courtesy of Flickr

Green beans, potatoes, hard-boiled eggs, tuna. A salad like this has everything you could ask for in a meal. After adding in veggies, choose the perfect vinaigrette to top the salad off with.

11. White beans and tuna

tuna

Photo courtesy of Flickr

Throw a couple of canned products together and you have an ultimate, nutritious tuna dish. It’s about time for both proteins  to be canned together.

12. Peppers stuffed with tuna

tuna

Photo courtesy of Flickr

Mix rice and tuna together for the perfect stuffing, then cover the filling with cheese. Simple, yet, appetizing.

13. Scrambled eggs

tuna

Photo by Szeréna Szabó

Eggs merge with tuna in this unexpected combination. Surprise your taste buds, in a pleasant way, by changing your breakfast routine from time to time.

Check out these other articles on tuna: